View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
I went to post an update on the progress of the campaign a few weeks ago but couldn't find my previous listing under the same subject (and all the historical postings by myself and other message board members). After sending a message to Justin (who does a fantastic job as we all know) he explained to me that if a subject post isn't active for a certain amount of time (I've forgotten the cut-off time but it was a lot shorter than I realised) then it drops off the radar. Which is what has happened unfortunately.

I will post a proper update shortly but today was a very good one as far as publicity and exposure goes :-) :-) Through a heads-up and shout-out from one of our The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign Group Facebook page members, Doug Smith, I finally made contact with Stuart Coupe who is a veteran Australian rock music writer / manager / promoter / radio presenter and Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople fan. He has joined our illustrious group and has shared and promoted it on his Facebook page today. We have over 200 members now and growing - more than thirty new members in the last couple of weeks. Momentum is growing quickly after a slower start than I expected.

Also today we hit the big time :-) :-) The fantastic 'Rockwiz' TV program's FB page after a few years of numerous IH / MTH related messages from yours truly has reposted my Ian Hunter birthday wishes post on their own timeline today and has given great exposure and publicity for Ian in general and the campaign in particular to thousands of their FB followers :-) :-) See attached.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
The post referring to Ian Hunter's birthday on Stuart Coupe's Facebook page a week or two ago received well over 100 likes and heaps of positive comments about Ian. At different times in the 80's Stuart was the manager of Paul Kelly and The Hoodoo Gurus. He has been a promoter and still is a rock journalist in magazines and on radio with 5000 friends on Facebook and much more followers including many rock musicians and people in the music industry. If a tour was to eventuate Stuart has told me he would give it heaps of promotion and publicity.

The post on the Rockwiz Facebook page which featured my comments on Ian's birthday in NYC featured well over 70 likes from fans. Only a handful of them were members of the FB page I set up over six months ago. As I've said previously that page has over 200 members with 30 joining just in the last few weeks so momentum is building. But as I've always suspected it is just the tip of the iceberg of Ian Hunter's fandom in Australia :-) :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336/

The main rock music writer for the 'The Brisbane Courier', Noel Mengel, is a confirmed Ian Hunter fan, as is Warwick McFadyen, a rock journalist for 'The Age' in Melbourne and 'The Sydney Morning Herald'. Also Tony Biggs and Ian Bland, who are presenters on 3RRR, Melbourne's iconic and very popular community radio station. And they are just the people I'm aware of. There will be no shortage of people shouting about a tour from the rooftops when it happens :-) :-)

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Perhaps you should employ this strategy to get the Ranters down under....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozAmXo2bDE

Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:34 pm

modmod wrote:
Perhaps you should employ this strategy to get the Ranters down under....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JozAmXo2bDE

Thanks for that :-)

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Apparently Woody Woodmansey's Holy Holy were pencilled in to play at The Forum in Melbourne (and I assume some other shows around the country) a few weeks ago after their Tokyo shows. But for some reason they couldn't quite make the dates work :-(

The good news is that I've been told that the promoter behind those proposed shows is an Ian Hunter fan and is keen to bring Ian and the band out here. I've passed on Ian's US agents contact details to the promoter so fingers crossed :-) :-)

Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:28 pm

This is the same post as I posted in the 'David Bowie Is' exhibition thread.

Another great opportunity to promote Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople in Australia :-) As part of the 'David Bowie Is' exhibition currently running in Melbourne they are having a special weekend on September 19th and 20th called 'Total Bowie'. One of the many activities over this weekend is 'My Bowie Talks' featuring a series of talks by academics, experts and fans about their love of different aspects of Bowie. I have volunteered to do a talk / presentation on Bowie's collaboration with the late great Mick Ronson, including their work on Bowie's own songs and with other artists such as Lou Reed and Mott The Hoople. I will also be talking about Ronson's career after Bowie with MTH, Ian Hunter, Bob Dylan and others through to his last public performance at the Freddie Mercury Memorial Concert and his last album 'Heaven & Hull'. Basically the talk will be dedicated to the career and memory of Mick Ronson and hopefully partly rectify his low profile in the exhibition itself apart from two admittedly high profile video clips - 'Starman' and 'The Jean Genie' which are both well liked by the visitors. I don't pretend to be an expert on Ronson and are well and truly throwing myself in the deep end on this one but I'm confident I will do a good job of it and it will be a fitting tribute to Mick Ronson's life and memory :-) The ACMI co-ordinator of the talks thinks my talk subject 'sounds perfect' and I will be sitting down with her to discuss what the protocols are regarding what music and clips I can use and play. So lots of work ahead over the next week and a half :-) My talk takes place at 10.00am in Studio 1 on Sunday the 20th and will run between thirty and fifty minutes in length (still to be decided). Hopefully any local fans will come in and fly the flag in support and say hello :-) The talks series is free and runs on both days with talks every hour from 10.00am to 4.00pm. Wish me luck and I hope to see you there if you can make it :-) Rest assured I will be trying to include as many MTH and Ian Hunter mentions as I can reasonably get away with :-) ;-) ;-)
https://www.facebook.com/events/171130623221398/

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:17 am

Wow Tom, Fantastic. Hopefully it will be recorded and posted so we can all enjoy it

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:12 pm

That's impressive that you were chosen.
Well done. Keep us posted.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:29 am

Get him to play Darwin and I'll get my brother to go.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for your comments Rick, Lee Ann and Brian :-)

The previous talks at the exhibition have been filmed and podcast. They are saying these talks are being filmed / recorded for posterity so whether that includes a podcast I'm not sure.

This afternoon I sent an email to Australian music legend, Kerryn Tolhurst, of The Dingoes and Country Radio fame amongst others, via his website. As some of you might know he played on Ellen Foley's debut album, Night Out, in New York in 1979 which was produced by and featured Ian Hunter and Mick Ronson. I asked him if he had any memories of those sessions and Ian and Mick so that I could share them with this site and include them in my talk about Mick Ronson this weekend at the 'David Bowie Is' exhibition. In what was a very pleasant surprise I received the following fantastic response from Kerryn less than thirty minutes later :-) :-)

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you.

I first met Mick and Ian in NY in 1979 when the Dingoes were looking for a producer for what was to be our last album before we disbanded. Unfortunately the record company decided on someone else and that was that.

After the band broke up I stayed on in NY and they contacted me about the Ellen Foley album. The session was held in a church on 57th St. Even though it was an all star band and I felt a bit out of my depth they were incredibly generous in allowing me to play whatever I thought was appropriate for the song.

A few years later I moved to Woodstock, NY where Mick also lived. I remember always running into him at the 24hour supermarket in town looking for beer at 2 in the morning....those were the days.

He drove me down to Manhattan one night to meet Les Paul at Les's regular gig at Fat Tuesdays.

Mick was the sweetest guy you could ever meet and went way too early.

I later played "All The Young Dudes" with Ian at a benefit concert in NY. One of my highlights.

Good luck with your talk.

Check out my new project.

Cheers,

Kerryn.

Some fantastic memories from Kerryn about both Mick and Ian and once again very much appreciated :-) :-) His story about Ian and Mick being considered as producers for the last Dingoes album actually rings a vague bell in my memory.

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:43 am

And there's another connection. In the early 90s Kerryn Tolhurst produced an album for the Black Sorrows - Lucky Charm - recorded in NY and which featured a certain Andy York on guitar...

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:05 am

Lurkin' Crocus wrote:
And there's another connection. In the early 90s Kerryn Tolhurst produced an album for the Black Sorrows - Lucky Charm - recorded in NY and which featured a certain Andy York on guitar...

Thanks for that :-) You learn something every day. I've loved the Black Sorrows since their first albums in the 80's. I had most of their early albums on vinyl but only compilation CDs since. I never knew Andy York had played on one of their later albums :-) The Black Sorrows' singer and leader, Joe Camilleri was and is a big Garland Jeffreys fan. Joe and Garland were booked for some double-bill shows in Australia early last year but for some reason the shows were cancelled at the last minute (the show I was going to was sold out). Garland says he is keen to come back to Australia soon (hopefully with his full band including Mark Bosch :-) ). The latest version of The Black Sorrows have just completed an extensive UK and European tour. How is that Gordon - you have more music featuring Andy York in your collection than you thought :-) (I burnt a Black Sorrows compilation for him earlier this year as well as some other Australian artists).

Speaking of Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople connections :-) In the attached clip featuring The Dingoes during their reunion tour a few years ago there are three different Mott The Hoople / Ian Hunter one degrees of separation :-) Kerryn Tolhurst on the lap steel guitar as mentioned above worked with Hunter and Ronson on the Ellen Foley debut album. Broderick Smith, the lead singer was born and raised in England. A few years ago I met Brod at a music festival on Phillip Island. During our chat MTH came up and Brod told me when he was a young boy he used to visit his cousins in Herefordshire. Their young neighbour who they used to play with turned up in Australia years later as tour manager for The Pretenders who Brod's band were supporting. That tour manager was Stan Tippins. I met Stan after the 2013 MTH reunion show in Manchester and told him about Brod's recollections and Stan confirmed the whole story and remembered Brod well. When I got back to Australia I caught up with Brod at a live show and told him about meeting Stan. The keyboards player in the clip is former Englishman Chris Copping who was a later member of Procol Harum, the band originally managed by MTHs original manager Guy Stevens. Chris has lived in Australia since the late 70s. It's a very small world sometimes :-) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cshn8j7y7jM

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

Hello Tom - I've been a big fan of Joe Camilleri since the 80s - I try and get everything he releases under whatever Black Sorrows/Revelators/solo guise he's in. I think he's a brilliant songwriter and musician, but he seems to be largely unknown outside of Oz. A musical genius ignored by the masses - where have we seen that before?? I don't think he's ever put a bad one out, but some of his later stuff can be a bit hit and miss. Beat Club and Crooked Little Thoughts are especially wonderful, but Roaring Town and Certified Blue not so...However the latest covers album, Endless Sleep is particularly excellent - I can't recommend it enough - especially the 2 x LP version.

As for the Sorrows' "UK tour", the only place they came to in the UK was Edinburgh - during the Festival and when I was in France :evil: . Apparently they hope to come back to the UK next year for a longer visit. Now if they could time it when Ian is touring perhaps they could bag the support slot...now that would be something wonderful. :D

Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:26 pm

Lurkin' Crocus wrote:
Hello Tom - I've been a big fan of Joe Camilleri since the 80s - I try and get everything he releases under whatever Black Sorrows/Revelators/solo guise he's in. I think he's a brilliant songwriter and musician, but he seems to be largely unknown outside of Oz. A musical genius ignored by the masses - where have we seen that before?? I don't think he's ever put a bad one out, but some of his later stuff can be a bit hit and miss. Beat Club and Crooked Little Thoughts are especially wonderful, but Roaring Town and Certified Blue not so...However the latest covers album, Endless Sleep is particularly excellent - I can't recommend it enough - especially the 2 x LP version.

As for the Sorrows' "UK tour", the only place they came to in the UK was Edinburgh - during the Festival and when I was in France :evil: . Apparently they hope to come back to the UK next year for a longer visit. Now if they could time it when Ian is touring perhaps they could bag the support slot...now that would be something wonderful. :D

Great to hear :-) Are you based in Scotland? I know the 80's version of The Black Sorrows, featuring the lovely Vika & Linda Bull, in their commercial prime toured quite extensively overseas and had some success in various European countries at least. I was shocked to hear one of their songs on Swiss radio during a visit there in the late 90's :-) Joe has been on the scene since the late 60's but his first real success was with the fabulous Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons. If you haven't got the attached compilation already it is well worth getting although it might be a bit hard to track down now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shape-Im-Austra ... =jo+jo+zep

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:57 am

Lurkin' Crocus wrote:

I found this on the internet as well. Kerryn Tolhurst produced and played on the album 'Beyond The Pale' by Bruce Henderson, recorded in New York and released in January 1999. The album also features some other familiar faces, namely Steve Holley and Andy York. There was a benefit for Bruce Henderson, who was suffering from cancer, at the Bowery Ballroom on January 8th, 1999, which featured Ian Hunter amongst other guest artists so I'm assuming that is the benefit show Kerryn was referring to in his email.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Pale-Bruce ... s_dp_dpt_1

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next