View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 
Site Admin

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
tomcaulf wrote:
Lurkin' Crocus wrote:
And there's another connection. In the early 90s Kerryn Tolhurst produced an album for the Black Sorrows - Lucky Charm - recorded in NY and which featured a certain Andy York on guitar...

I found this on the internet as well. Kerryn Tolhurst produced and played on the album 'Beyond The Pale' by Bruce Henderson, recorded in New York and released in January 1999. The album also features some other familiar faces, namely Steve Holley and Andy York. There was a benefit for Bruce Henderson, who was suffering from cancer, at the Bowery Ballroom on January 8th, 1999, which featured Ian Hunter amongst other guest artists so I'm assuming that is the benefit show Kerryn was referring to in his email.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Pale-Bruce ... s_dp_dpt_1

And just to close the loop, Bruce Henderson and Andy York released a CD together in 1990 under the name Hearts and Minds. It includes the song "Which Way The Wind", which Andy sang at his first full Ian Hunter gig at the Bowery Ballroom in 2000. That gig was also the first gig James Mastro played with Ian.

Justin

Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW

Nice one Justin :-)

Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:45 pm
Site Admin

I was at The Bruce Henderson benefit gig. It was great. It snowed like crazy that night. Bruce came on after Ian and said something to the effect of "I thought chemotherapy was tough, but try following Ian Hunter playing All The Young Dudes in NYC on a snowy night".
I own both Bruce Henderson CDs and enjoy them a lot. I've had a few conversations with Andy York about Bruce. Apparently he has given up on the music biz and has moved back out west.

Mark

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:01 am

Mark wrote:
I was at The Bruce Henderson benefit gig. It was great. It snowed like crazy that night. Bruce came on after Ian and said something to the effect of "I thought chemotherapy was tough, but try following Ian Hunter playing All The Young Dudes in NYC on a snowy night".
I own both Bruce Henderson CDs and enjoy them a lot. I've had a few conversations with Andy York about Bruce. Apparently he has given up on the music biz and has moved back out west.

Mark

Great stuff Mark. I saw that quote in a gig review of that show on the internet in the last day or so. I didn't post the review because although the reviewer conceded Ian performed well and got a great reaction from the crowd he also called it a Spinal Tap moment and an inappropriate interruption to what had been a laid back American roots show :roll: :roll: Some people are never happy or satisfied.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:48 am

My talk on Mick Ronson last Sunday at the 'Total Bowie' weekend at ACMI in Melbourne went okay and was well received by a small but appreciative audience - I haven't got any photos to upload yet (or video links). After a great intro from one of my ACMI colleagues, Kate, and my initial opening comments I showed the audience a short video message to them that Lisa Ronson, Mick's daughter, had very kindly emailed to me from London :-) I had too much material prepared and had to rush through the latter parts and drop a few things unfortunately due to time restraints - including a photo gallery of Ronson photos over Ian Hunter's 'Michael Picasso' as a tribute at the end. I did get lots of Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople references in to my talk :-) I was working at the Bowie exhibition tonight (Friday) and an attractive woman in her late thirties came up to me and said "Hi, you were fantastic on Sunday" :-) Not knowing her face I gave her a puzzled look. Then she explained that she had seen my talk and thought it had been very good :-) She was obviously a keen Bowie fan to be back at the exhibition again a week later, and it was a huge coincidence that she bumped in to me there :-) But her comments made my night. I would love the opportunity to present the talk again with the hindsight of better timing and a longer time frame.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:55 pm

All fantastic Tom and we hope there will be links ( well not all of us here do ) Most importantly though, how about a follow up on the attractive lady?

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:55 pm

callmeafan3 wrote:
All fantastic Tom and we hope there will be links ( well not all of us here do ) Most importantly though, how about a follow up on the attractive lady?

No follow up Rick unfortunately (my brother and sister-in-law asked the same question :-) ) - I don't think her partner that she went back to after our chat would have appreciated it :-) :(

I haven't sighted any photos or video links as yet but they will happen soon I hope. I was talking to another fan last night who was one of the speakers over the weekend and there is discussions happening about maybe reprising the fan talks over one of the exhibition's last weekends. If this happens it would be great - I would love to have another crack at it with the benefit of hindsight on content, technology and timing.

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:35 am

Mark wrote:

Mark

The Bruce Henderson gig was where a lot of us from this site (which didn't exist at the time) and from the previous Yahoo list (I guess the list is still in existence, but is rarely used) met for the first time. Ian hadn't played any shows in quite a while previous to this and I like to think that he was so impressed by the turnout and reaction (the place went nuts when he got up on stage) that it charged his batteries a bit.

Chris

Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Chris,

It was also the show where Ian met Andy York. I think that meeting helped fuel his fire again.

Mark

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Mark wrote:
Chris,

It was also the show where Ian met Andy York. I think that meeting helped fuel his fire again.

Mark

Wasn't Andy playing with him that night? Or am I mixing that up with another of the Bowery shows?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Andy was part of the house band (along with GE Smith) that backed Ian. This was where Ian and Andy met and started their long term playing together. The other Bowery show was about a year later on Ian's birthday. Andy played with him then. John Conte was on bass and James Mastro played mandolin on a couple of songs. I believe this was Ian's intro to James. Then, as you may recall, Ian checked out James a bit more at a Health and Happiness gig.

Mark

Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi Everyone :-)

I'm still waiting on the footage and photos that ACMI took of my talk on Mick Ronson a couple of weeks ago. Harry Williams, a member of the Bowie Downunder group and a new addition to the Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign Group was also filming it as well :-) Harry has very kindly made it available on youtube in two parts - see attached :-) It is always weird watching and listening to video footage of yourself :-) I didn't have any sleep the night before due to last minute preparations but I'm pretty happy about the way it turned out. I was running out of time unfortunately so I had to drop a few elements including a clip of Ronson / Bowie playing 'Like A Rolling Stone', the promo for the proposed Ronson documentary, a montage of photos over Ian Hunter's 'Michael Picasso' and a proper wrap-up of Mick Ronson's legacy. I also forgot to relate a couple of good Mick Ronson anecdotes about his humility and down to earth personality. But I did get the chance to include a lot of Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople mentions :-) :-) Big thanks to ACMI for the opportunity, Harry for the filming, Lisa Ronson for the message of support and John Bird for sending out the Ronson t-shirt and biography so quickly. There is vague talk about reprising the talks before the exhibition finishes. I would love to have another go at presenting it :-)

Part 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQLgS8YuzA

Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJyLFKOLlMI

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:59 pm

good stuff Tom. I viewed that earlier from the f/book link.

G

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:30 pm

grastark wrote:
I viewed that earlier from the f/book link.

Great job, Tom... and thanks for remembering to post here for us left-behind Luddites back at the ol' homestead. 8) :wink:

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:13 pm

hookway wrote:
grastark wrote:
I viewed that earlier from the f/book link.

Great job, Tom... and thanks for remembering to post here for us left-behind Luddites back at the ol' homestead. 8) :wink:

No worries Gordon :-) You never know, one day you might mosey down the driveway from the old homestead to the main road and hitch a ride on the Facebook highway :-) ;-)

Thanks for your comments, and I hope you noticed I gave you a brief mention (not by name) during my talk :-)

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next