View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
callmeafan3 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your Mum Tom. Hope all is well. I personally think you have been quiet because you know something and don't want to spill the beans

Thanks Rick - In answer to the latter I wish that was the case :-) :-( I didn't speak to Ian in the UK in November (or try to speak to him which I'm regretting now). I did speak to Trudi a couple of times (Hi Trudi :-) ) and all the band members at different and sometimes several times. They are all very eager to tour here. I was getting mixed messages on whether any Australian shows will happen but hopefully there are talks happening with local promoters and we are well and truly in the mix when Ian and the band venture back to the US west coast and/or possibly Japan. In the latest Horse's Mouth he is talking about the US coast in September. Originally it was going to be in September last year then February - April this year :-) :-(

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:29 am

Some recent visitor experiences working as a Ranger at the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island. A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to a couple in their forties from Shrewsbury, Shropshire. When I mentioned one of my favourite musicians comes from there and mentioned Ian Hunter's name they didn't know who he was :-) :-( I gave them a very brief music history of Ian's career, told them that he name-checked Barker Street Bus Station and Swan Hill in some of his songs and as a result they were going to check him out on-line and give him a listen :-) Also a few weeks ago I spoke to a gentleman from Wales in his mid to late fifties. When I had told him I was in Wales in November at the Ian Hunter show in Buckley he told me he was at the show in Cardiff :-) One of the five shows I wasn't at unfortunately of the ten shows in the November tour.

Today I took a couple from Los Angeles on a half-day tour of the island. It turned out they are big music fans and live very close to the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills north of Los Angeles where I saw an Ian Hunter & The Rant Band show in January 2013 :-) They weren't at that show unfortunately. They had heard of Ian Hunter but didn't know a lot of his music, old or new, but were going to check him out. Apparently they have a lot of musicians living in their gated neighbourhood including Elliot Easton from The Cars and Alex Van Halen, some of them such as Eliot who they are good friends with. Through him they have met Clem Burke from Blondie a few times. Coincidentally it was the Agoura Hills show where I met Clem for the first time. The couple said they live on a property with a guesthouse and gave me their details saying the next time I was in Los Angeles to look them up and I could stay with them for a few days as a guest :-)

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 am

Their guest house is probably nicer than my house. Can I stay too?

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:08 pm

tomcaulf wrote:

... I've had a major distraction with my Mum being diagnosed with Vascular Dementia just before Christmas which was quite sudden and a huge shock.

Just spotted this Tom. That's awful I hope she (and you) are doing as well as possible.

Keith

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:12 pm

braincapers wrote:
tomcaulf wrote:

... I've had a major distraction with my Mum being diagnosed with Vascular Dementia just before Christmas which was quite sudden and a huge shock.

Just spotted this Tom. That's awful I hope she (and you) are doing as well as possible.

Keith

Thanks Keith - it has been a big shock for all concerned and has appeared very suddenly. She can't drive anymore and has her forgetful moments but it's early days and she is still leading a relatively normal life. But with the type she has it's a gradual decline with no possibility of reversal at any stage. How quick the time frame is for her decline in years and months we just don't know.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:39 am

For any members or lurkers out there on this message board who live in Australia, New Zealand or South-East Asia, or fancies a trip to Australia, please 'join' our Facebook page (see attached) and share it with any like-minded friends or family. The more the merrier. We have 540 members now and are growing steadily. Talks have taken place, the drums are beating and hopefully some Australian shows are on the radar in the not too distant future :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336/

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:44 am

I had a few UK and American couples on my tour at the Penguin Parade tonight. As luck would have it Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople came up in the conversation :-) ;-) One of the visitors from Louisiana in his sixties told me he saw Mott The Hoople live in the early 70s. He had no idea Ian was still active and was going to check out his recent music. One of the English guys in his 60s who is a music fan from Taunton in Somerset knew of MTH and Ian. So I told him about Ian's upcoming show in Frome in June :-) A couple of more converts.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:12 pm

As I hinted at late last year - in a few weeks time we are going to be flooded with Ian Hunter alumni touring Australia during the month of April :-) Beginning with former Rant Band keyboardist Andy Burton (he also played on the last album) who is touring in Cyndi Lauper's band on her great double bill with Blondie. I'm planning to catch up with Andy when he is in town. Then Ian's UK agent and tour manager Mick Brown will be touring the country with Dan Baird & Homemade Sin - a great band featuring Dan and Mauro from the Georgia Satellites and Warner Hodges from Jason & The Scorchers. And then Patti Smith will be touring Australia. Her band usually includes sometime Ian Hunter sidesmen Jack Petruzzelli and Tony Shanahan. I was told a couple of days ago that Jack sadly won't be here for the Australian shows. But the good news is that his place has been taken by the great Andy York :-) Long time John Mellencamp guitarist, former Rant Band member, the producer of all Ian Hunter's great albums since 2001 and Ian's great friend and musical collaborator. Andy nearly made it to Australia last year with Mellencamp but the tour was postponed then cancelled for some reason. I met Andy in the USA in 2013 and he is a really nice guy. I'm assuming Andy York has been to Australia before, Andy Burton has been here a few times including with John Mayer a few years ago and it is Mick Brown's first trip to Australia :-) It will be great to see and catch up with them all again on my home turf. Now all we need is the great man himself and the Rant Band to grace our shores :-)

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

No doubt Andy and Mick will be feedin' back to Ian :wink:

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:42 pm

cludgie AKA fluffy wrote:
No doubt Andy and Mick will be feedin' back to Ian :wink:

Definitely Andrew :-)

Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:51 pm

I was at the Box Hill Record & Comic Fair in Melbourne on Sunday selling some of my old vinyl. The first fair I went to late last year I sold about a $1000 worth. This one (a bigger fair) I only sold $250 worth :-( Considering it was a three hour round trip and cost a $100 in petrol money and store rental to be there it was a bad day. Partly my own fault for booking late and getting a stall outside the main hall and entrance.

On the positive side I met and spoke to a few fellow Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople fans. One guy I've met before who was wearing a MTH t-shirt (one of those unofficial pale blue ones with The Hoople album cover visual on it), a local guy who is a big fan and joined my Facebook group and an older English expat who used to see MTH in London in the early 1970s - but he isn't on Facebook unfortunately :-)

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:01 pm

tomcaulf wrote:
The first fair I went to late last year I sold about a $1000 worth. This one (a bigger fair) I only sold $250 worth :-(

Unfortunately that's the way it goes when selling off your own records and not replenishing your crates like the "pros" do...
the more desirable stuff goes first and you get a false sense of how well you'll do the next time.

I've done three fairs now... with diminishing returns each time.
I still have lots of LPs left... but not worthwhile doing it again.

"All of the good ones are taken..." 8)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 am

hookway wrote:
tomcaulf wrote:
The first fair I went to late last year I sold about a $1000 worth. This one (a bigger fair) I only sold $250 worth :-(

Unfortunately that's the way it goes when selling off your own records and not replenishing your crates like the "pros" do...
the more desirable stuff goes first and you get a false sense of how well you'll do the next time.

I've done three fairs now... with diminishing returns each time.
I still have lots of LPs left... but not worthwhile doing it again.

"All of the good ones are taken..." 8)

There is certainly a bit of that factor Gordon. My in demand Paul Kelly, The Church, The Johnnys etc went during that first fair. But I've still got quite a few albums in great condition, in demand and fairly priced that will sell but I have to find the right medium. I will give one more fair a go on April 30th (the same fair and venue as the first) and then I will start selling them online which I've been trying to avoid eg. emails, packing, mailing, Paypal etc I will sell a lot more - it's just a lot harder than I thought it would be :-) :-( And I still haven't taken the high priced / in-demand albums to a fair yet because the prices vary so much and I don't want to under or over price them.

By the way I was chatting to some visitors from Winnipeg at the Penguin Parade last night. This time they didn't know you or Peggy, and they didn't live in your street or around the corner :-) But they did love my story about how you met your neighbours around the corner :-)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 am

tomcaulf wrote:
And I still haven't taken the high priced / in-demand albums to a fair yet because the prices vary so much and I don't want to under or over price them.

That's where I probably "blew my wad" as it were... I took my best stuff to the first fair.
I thought it was priced accurately... I did a lot of research... but it all sold very quickly... maybe too quickly.
That always leaves you wondering if you left some $$ on the table. :?

I still have one high-value item you may be able to help me with, Tom... :)
see if you can find me an Australian AC/DC fan who needs the rare / desirable Canadian pressing of 'Powerage' on red vinyl. :wink: :lol:

I think you're fairly safe in not running across any more of my neighbours... that was the fluke of the decade. 8)

Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:29 am

Does Ian do private party gigs for special occasions like a birthday?

Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next