View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
bluejay5580 wrote:
Does Ian do private party gigs for special occasions like a birthday?

I know a guy called Dave Donner organised a house party show at great expense to himself in Las Vegas (?) a few years ago now. I've met him a couple of times since at Hunter shows in San Francisco and Los Angeles. That's the only one I've heard about in recent years. Cue Rick with his regular claim to fame :-) ;-)

Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:25 pm

So far as I recall it was not so much that Dave organised the event. I think that Dave won a competition (States only) for Ian to play in "your own backyard". Fortunately Dave's backyard was big enough and a few lucky ones also attended (paid maybe?).
I do not think that it is the norm for Ian to do a private gig in the manner suggested (but one should never say never).

G

Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Dave did organize the concert. Bruce won Ian at your house. Did I just hear my cue? As the only MB member who attended Daves concert let me tell you it was fantastic. Dave spared no expense. It was done very professionaly. Ian Andy and James were all there. It had a stage with lighting and mixing board. Ian took time to meet and greet afterwards and signed everything I had. I even carried his guitar out to the limo at the end. The contest Bruce won coincided with Ian playing at Amoeba Music. That was strictly Ian and a guitar but I wouldn't have minded seeing that either. Thanks for setting me up Andy

Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:33 am

callmeafan3 wrote:
Dave did organize the concert. Bruce won Ian at your house. ......

my mistake - forgot about Bruce (the old brain cells fading away).

Full marks to Dave Donner for doing that.

2 unique gigs.

G

Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:23 am

A fantastic day yesterday at Basement Discs in the city for Record Store Day 2017 with friends including some publicity for our Ian Hunter campaign :-) Some great live entertainment featuring the fabulous Thin White Ukes playing their great versions of Bowie songs, the MC Bryan Nankervis (Rockwiz), the British comedian Phill Jupitus and the legendary Billy Bragg (UK) and Joe Henry (USA) performing live songs from their great recent album featuring music from the early blues and Great Depression era. I won one of the trivia prize questions, Bryan the MC recognised me from my Rockwiz tryout last year and briefly mentioned my Ian Hunter t-shirt and campaign to bring him to Oz. I had a great few chats to 3RRR presenter, poet and musician Ian Bland who is a member of our illustrious campaign group. Ian was going to give the campaign a plug later in the afternoon when he was MCing but I had to rush off to the island for work and missed it unfortunately. And I got to chat to our fellow confirmed big Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople fan Billy Bragg after the show. I mentioned the Hunter campaign which he was glad to hear about. During his set he had been talking about the skiffle craze in the UK in the 1950s that spawned so many great bands and musicians including The Beatles. And how the skiffle music was influenced by the blues. When I spoke to Billy he told me how Ian Hunter got his start winning a skiffle contest - which I told him I knew :-) An absolutely fantastic afternoon which I wish I had spent longer at but work commitments prevailed. (See photos attached).

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 6859091312

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:26 am

Sounds great Tom. No one has worked harder or done more to promote IH than you that I can think of. I can only hope it happens for you. You have made a persuasive argument. Unfortunately I can't view your photos as I still refuse to join FB

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks for your comments Rick :-)

As I've mentioned previously leading up to a few weeks ago, the last few weeks have been a busy time for visiting Ian Hunter alumni in Melbourne and Australia. The following has been my calendar of catch-ups with them over the past few weeks :-)

Thursday, April 6th. Cyndi Lauper (featuring Andy Burton on keyboards) and Blondie played their first Melbourne show at Rod Laver Arena. After mentioning the Bernard Fowler / Tim Ries (Rolling Stones sidesmen) show I was going to at the Cherry Bar Andy said he knew both of them and would meet me there after the Lauper show. Andy arrived with some of his Lauper bandmates and he and Elaine Caswell joined Bernard and Tim and their band for a rousing version of the Bee Gees' classic 'To Love Somebody' with everyone in the audience singing along loudly on the choruses :-) See photos attached. Clem Burke from Blondie turned up to the venue later after Blondie's show. I've met Clem at Ian Hunter shows in the USA before.

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 777304363/

Friday, April 7th. I took Andy Burton and his Cyndi Lauper guitarist bandmate Alex Nolan down to Phillip Island for the day where they really enjoyed the beautiful scenery, koalas, sheep shearing demonstration and the penguin parade. I even spotted an echidna for them to photograph which was very unusual. I'm still waiting on some more photos from Alex and Andy from the day trip :-)

Saturday, April 8th. The Blondie / Cyndi Lauper 'A Day On The Green' concert at the Rochford Winery east of Melbourne. Great seats four rows from the front of centre stage :-) My first time seeing Blondie even though I've been a fan ever since their first albums were released. They were great as were Cyndi Lauper and her band. Caught up with Andy backstage briefly after the show to catch up and say goodbye. See photos attached.

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 453476235/

Thursday, April 13th. Dan Baird & Homemade Sin's first Australian show at the Corner Hotel in Melbourne. It was great catching up with their manager, Mick Brown, again who I have met numerous times in recent years. As most of you know Mick is Ian Hunter's UK & Europe agent and tour manager. We had a few conversations that night and the next night on what a great reception an Ian Hunter tour of Australia would receive over here :-) I had a chat with Dan Baird after the show and a few great chats with Warner Hodges and their bass player Micke.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... &source=57

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 901337415/

Friday, April 14th. Dan Baird & Homemade Sin's second Australian show at the Cherry Bar in Melbourne. Another great show and catching up with Mick Brown and the guys from the band before and after the show.

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 085657006/

Sunday, April 16th. Patti Smith's first Melbourne show at Hamer Hall in Melbourne. After being a relatively recent convert to her music it was my first time seeing her. An absolutely amazing show :-) With the added bonus of Andy York and Tony Shanahan being in her band. Tony is a long-term member and Andy was filling in on this tour. I had sent a message to Andy via his wife a week earlier but hadn't heard anything back from him. I tried to catch him at the stage door after the show but he, Patti and some of the band members had used another exit.

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 351583654/

Thursday, April 20th. Patti Smith's fourth Melbourne show at Festival Hall in Melbourne. Patti Smith and her great band played three nights at Hamer Hall (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night), had a day off on Wednesday and then closed their Australian tour with an absolutely barnstorming show at Festival Hall in Melbourne with what was billed as her last ever band show in Australia :-) And she definitely went out with a bang. An absolutely amazing show with half the stadium in standing mode on the floor. After waiting outside the stadium with friends from the soundcheck time onwards I got the chance to see and speak with the Australian music legend Kerryn Tolhurst (Country Radio / The Dingoes) who was guesting with the band. I swapped a few messages with Kerryn a couple of years ago when I was researching my talk on Mick Ronson at the David Bowie Is exhibition. Kerryn worked with Ronson and Ian Hunter on Ellen Foley's first album during his years in New York. He also knew Andy York and Tony Shanahan from his NYC days which is why he was guesting with the band. And a connection that has been discussed on this thread before :-) I had got an email from Andy York the day before the show. I caught up with him briefly in the afternoon and properly backstage at the after show drinks. I had met Andy and his wife before in the USA in 2013. But it was my first time meeting Tony Shanahan after the show. Ian Hunter's latest album 'Fingers Crossed' was recorded in Tony's studio he told me. His face lit up with a big smile when he first saw my Ian Hunter t-shirt when I introduced myself :-) During the concert me and my friends were standing right down the front againt the crowd barrier in front of Patti :-) About three songs in to the concert Patti stopped to tie her boot laces while resting her foot on a monitor at the front of the stage. I yelled out "Patti - you might want to check your zipper (fly) while your at it". Her fly had been undone for the first few songs. She very sheepishly zipped her fly, said "Thank-you mister" and blamed her wardrobe malfunction on a "Last minute piss before the show" :-) So my claim to fame for the night :-) I forgot to tell Andy after the show it was me who had alerted Patti about her zipper. It might have earned me a personal thank-you from Patti who was secreted off in the dressing rooms. But I didn't think of it until the next day much to my regret :-) :-( It was great catching up with and speaking to Andy, Tony, Lenny Kaye and Kerryn after the show. Andy promised me he will be flying the flag for some Australian shows :-) An amazing and memorable night :-)

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... 037690775/

And it was an amazing and memorable couple of weeks featuring some great music and great people. All we need now is for Ian and the Rant Band to grace our shores and show Australian audiences how good they are, and for our Australian audiences to show Ian and the band how good we are :-)

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Tom - you're just a groupie :wink:

G

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:13 pm

grastark wrote:
Tom - you're just a groupie :wink:

G

Nah :-) Just a big fan who is naturally friendly and not too pushy :-)

I was chatting to Ian Bland, a Melbourne based musician, poet and presenter on 3RRR at Basement Discs on Saturday. I first met him a couple of years ago. He is a big Ian Hunter / MTH fan who saw one of the MTH reunion shows in 2013 (Birmingham unfortunately which wasn't one of their best) and Ian Hunter & The Rant Band a few tours ago at the Leamington Spa Assembly which he said was a fantastic show and one of the best live shows he has seen by anyone :-) He told me from his experience and knowledge of the Australian music industry that there will be a 1000 local musicians going to see Ian and the band's shows here, before you even start thinking about the thousands of day to day fans :-) Which I've been saying all along. It will be like a who's who of the Australian music industry at the shows when they tour here (not if) :-) :-)

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 am

Tom, your mention of an "echidna" is only the second time I've heard that word used. The first being on an old Frank Zappa album where he had a song called "echidna's arf".

Today's useless trivia comment!

Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm

Many contrafibularities to you for introducing us to new words. :wink:

G

Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Seventeen new members in the last month on our FB page, 566 in total and growing. The momentum is building and hopefully some ongoing talks are happening :-) This excludes the 200 plus fans I have personally met and spoken to who aren't on Facebook. And the hundreds if not thousands of other fans, musicians and public alike, who I haven't been in touch with :-)

For any lurkers out there or those who fancy a holiday to Australia with some great Ian Hunter shows as and added bonus please join the attached group and share it with any like-minded friends or family.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 am

Two Ian Hunter related encounters at the Penguin Parade this week :-)

Earlier in the week I had an English couple in their 60s from London on my tour. When my recent trips to the UK and Ian Hunter shows came up in conversation (as they do) the gentleman told me he saw Mott The Hoople live in Leeds in 1973. He wasn't aware of Ian's recent activity and tours and was going to check them out :-)

Last night I had an English couple from Birmingham in their 40s sitting on my stand. From our conversation he appeared to be a big music fan. He was aware of MTH and Ian Hunter and the fact that he had been releasing albums of new music in recent years but hadn't heard any of them. I think he knew of this activity through being a Joe Elliott fan. He was going to check them out :-) I also mentioned the forthcoming UK tour so it wouldn't surprise me if he goes to one of the shows. He was very impressed that I got a mention in 'Mojo' magazine a couple of years ago :-)

Sat May 13, 2017 1:31 am

The May edition of the Horse's Mouth has just been posted and there is a question from an Australian fan regarding the possibility of some Australian shows :-)

Terry Hines: ‘Mate, I am sure you have a lot of fans here, so how about AUSTRALIA?’
Ian Hunter: 'We’ll look at it'.

One of Ian's more positive and direct answers to that very important question :-) The drums are beating and talks are continuing so fingers crossed for some Australian shows in the not too distant future. Terry Hines has posed this question on the Horse's Mouth before. He isn't a member of my FB page so if you are reading this post Terry or anyone out there knows him please get him to join and share the attached group. And any other lurkers / observers out there.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

I have been running this thread for a couple of years now. The 192 posts on the thread have received a total of 13,628 views to date. An average of just over 70 views per post. The last time I posted on the thread was 12 days ago. Since that post the thread has received another 428 views!!!! That just proves how much interest this campaign is attracting amongst both active and not so active members of this Message Board and quite a few lurkers as well I imagine :-) Fingers crossed :-)

PS. The above figures do not include an earlier version of the thread which dropped off the Message Board because it was idle for a while :-) :-(

Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

A great night at The Spotted Mallard in Brunswick with friends in Melbourne on Saturday night seeing the fabulous Thin White Ukes again. Highly recommended if you get the chance, as is their great CD :-) The band features one of our campaign members Michael Dwyer - a friend of mine who is also a music journalist for 'The Age' newspaper in Melbourne and 'Rolling Stone' Australia. One of their guests last night was Andrew Duffield of the great Australian band, Models, who produced their CD and is also a member of our campaign group. We used to work together many years ago. It was great chatting to Andrew again about the Hunter campaign. He confirmed again what I already knew that there will be a who's who of the Australian music industry at any Ian Hunter shows in Australia :-) The Ukes haven't included 'All The Young Dudes' in their extensive repertoire yet - but it is in the pipeline apparently :-) :-( And as I was listening to them last night I thought they could do a great version of Ian Hunter's recent song dedicated to David Bowie, 'Dandy', given the chance :-) I've suggested it to them so fingers crossed.

Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18  Next