View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
It looks like it's finally going to happen folks :-) Ian Hunter has said during an interview on BBC Radio Humberside today that "We're going to Australia next year" :-) :-) Effing fantastic news!!! I don't whether to laugh or cry. Thanks to those people on various FB groups including Keith Hollinshed and Mioko Tanaka for the heads up. I was told back in early April that we had missed out on before or after the Tokyo shows in September - which would have been a logical time and was disappointing. But also that they were looking at Australia early next year - but I was sworn to secrecy :-) :-( I am flying out to the UK this Friday for three weeks, including seeing a few Ian Hunter shows. I was / am hoping to catch up with Ian again to fly the flag for Australia but it sounds like it has already been flown. I'm sure some great feedback from Mick Brown and Andy York who I caught up with here in April has helped, and obviously this campaign in general. Roll on 2018 I say :-) :-) Attached is a link to the interview referred to. It starts about 2 hours and 12 minutes in to the program so click on the timeline until you're close.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p053qzvx

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:13 pm

On another positive note we have surged to over 640 members on our FB campaign group this month - before the good news today. That's fifty new members in the last week or two and more than 140 new members for this year to date. That doesn't include the 200 plus fans I've met and spoken to or are aware of who aren't on Facebook :-)

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:30 pm

I told you that you knew something. Congratulations Tom! Well deserved. Never have I seen anyone fly the flag for something. Enjoy. Can we all stay with you?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Tom, at times I thought you were living in cloud cuckoo land, at times you have bored the arse of me, at times I have thought why keep on doing this, but bloody hell you have done it, and I have absolutely no doubt you were a massive ,massive part of making this happen, Hat off to you, will shake you warmly by the hand when I see you in June. Well done for sheer bloody tenacity

Now you need to start a new thread 'Ian Hunter - The Tour Down Under'

MO

Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I've said it elsewhere but well done Tom

Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Brilliant news Tom - I have no doubt whatsoever that this is down to you. But also good for those in the IH camp that listened to you.

G

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Congrats Tom! I'm sure Ian and the band are just as excited as you. Great job.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:47 pm

Well done, Tom. Hope we'll have time to book early (and cheaper) flight. Now, let me know how's Oz in April...

Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm

That's great news, Tom... I also have no doubts at all that this would never have been considered without your well-mannered... erm... "persistence". 8)

Also good that they've given you a decent lead time in to next spring... rather than too soon... so that you can build up some more excitement down there as well as abroad.

Who knows, maybe there will be a groundswell of interest amongst the IH travellers and we'll all be seeing you in Australia next year. :)

Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm

I knew our vigorous discussion with Mick Brown after the Dan Baird gig here in Kentucky would be effective. :wink:

Seriously, excellent work and congrats.

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Woot!

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:44 am

hookway wrote:
That's great news, Tom... I also have no doubts at all that this would never have been considered without your well-mannered... erm... "persistence". 8)

Also good that they've given you a decent lead time in to next spring... rather than too soon... so that you can build up some more excitement down there as well as abroad.

Who knows, maybe there will be a groundswell of interest amongst the IH travellers and we'll all be seeing you in Australia next year. :)

Thanks for the good wishes, sentiments and messages everyone :-) It is much appreciated. As Gordon has intimated above I hope we see lots of travellers and familiar faces in Australia for these shows :-) The more the merrier. A few have put their hand up already on Facebook.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:21 am

Yes but I called dibs on staying st your place first. As a reward for all your hard work I think IH should have you introduce the band at at least 1 gig

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Well it was another fantastic three week trip to the UK highlighted by the six shows I saw of the Ian Hunter and The Rant Band at Frome, Liverpool, Hull, Preston, London and Sheffield. As usual great musicians on stage and great people off stage :-) They just get better and better if that is possible and are fronted by one of the absolute legends of rock 'n' roll :-)

As in November I have been completely overwhelmed with the amount of goodwill and awareness that has been generated - both within the Ian Hunter & The Rant Band camp (including Ian himself) and amongst our fellow fans for this campaign. At every show I attended on this trip I had people coming up to me before, during and after the shows introducing themselves and complimenting me on our campaign and passing on their best wishes for its success. Even to the extent of a few shouted pints :-) Many of them I had met before but many of them I hadn't. Huge and genuine thanks to you all if you are reading this post. The only other Australian fans I bumped in to (I'm sure there were more at the various shows) was two different fans at Frome - one who was already a member of our Facebook campaign page and one that wasn't but hopefully soon will be.

During June we had just under 70 new members join our FB campaign page!!! Pumping the total membership numbers up to 650 in just two and a half years. Even if we only average a conservative 20 to 30 new members per month we will be giving the 1000 members mark a good old nudge by the time Ian & The Rant Band possibly tour Australia in 2018.

If you are either an active member or lurker on this message board, live in Australia, New Zealand or South-East Asia, or fancy a trip here in 2018 then please 'join' the attached group and show and share your support with friends and family.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

Even at these current levels Ian and the band will have no trouble whatsoever drawing a 1000 plus fans per show in Sydney and Melbourne. With two shows in each city, ideally on a Friday and Saturday night for interstate travellers, at The Metro in Sydney (1100) capacity and The Forum in Melbourne (1500 capacity). The breakdown would be 500 FB group related fans per show (most have indicated they will go to more than one show and most will be bringing at the very least one friend or family member with them if not more), 200 that aren't on FB or who aren't joiners (and their friends/family) who I have personally been in contact with or are aware of, 100 music industry fans (musicians, journalists etc - the who's who of the local industry are all fans) and about 100 travellers from interstate and overseas - many who have put their hand up already. That is 900 fans per show in Sydney and Melbourne before you even advertise to the general public which includes the many unknown Ian Hunter / MTH fans, David Bowie fans, Mick Ronson fans, classic rock fans etc etc etc. Throw in a few shows in Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth and New Zealand at 600 to 800 fans per night and the numbers start adding up. The Sydney and Melbourne shows alone are the equivalent of four shows at The Fillmore in San Francisco if not bigger :-) And as I've posted several times previously each of those shows should generate $8,000 to $10,000 plus per show in merchandise if well stocked, supplied and staffed.

As Gordon pointed out in an earlier post with the extensive lead-up time to a potential 2018 tour there will be a lot more potential to build up the support and potential attendances. And it's a lot easier promoting a definite event as opposed to an idea or a dream :-)

And the tour will get so much free 'word of mouth' publicity because the fans, including many high profile ones, will be shouting and spreading the news from the rooftops. Australian music identity Stuart Coupe is a big fan (5000 FB friends and 5000 followers), Dave Faulkner from the Hoodoo Gurus is a confirmed fan (thousands of FB followers), the 'Rockwiz' TV show team are big fans (1000's of FB followers) and the list goes on. I am sure Bryan Nankervis ('Rockwiz' and ABC Radio), Stuart Coupe (magazines/radio), Tony Biggs and Brian Wise (3RRR Radio) and Michael Dwyer (Rolling Stone magazine, and a personal friend) would all love to interview Ian leading up to and/or during the tour and that is just some of many high profile fans.

As I've said many times the FB campaign group is just the tip of the iceberg of the Ian Hunter / MTH fandom that exists in Australia and New Zealand.

Fingers crossed for 2018 :-) :-)

Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:32 am

A post on our Facebook campaign page last night from Doug Smith who is one of our members based in Queensland :-)

"Went to Rockwiz live last night - spoke to Brian - had me Ian Hunter hoodie on - he started telling me about a bloke called Tom..... Told Brian that Mr Hunter will, hopefully, touring next year - it was news to him".

The Bryan he is referring to is Bryan Nankervis, the co-host of the hugely popular national Australian TV music trivia show 'Rockwiz'. I've met and chatted to Bryan a few times in recent years - he is a confirmed big Ian Hunter / Mott The Hoople fan as are all the 'Rockwiz' crew. As posted here before Bryan recognised and acknowledged me and our campaign to the crowd when he was MC at Basement Discs on Record Store Day in Melbourne a few months ago. And we had a good chat at a 'Rockwiz' show taping I attended early last year. Brian has a weekly show on ABC Radio in Melbourne and is very keen to interview Ian if he tours Australia :-)

Since I last posted on this thread a couple of weeks ago this thread has had about 650 views!!!!! This campaign is generating a lot of interest here and elsewhere. There must be a hell of a lot of lurkers on this message board. For anyone reading these posts who is also on Facebook and supports this campaign then please join the attached Facebook page (if you haven't done so already) and show and share your support. If you aren't on Facebook then set up an account and join our page. Even if that is your only activity on Facebook I couldn't think of a better reason to do so :-) :-) Fingers crossed ;-)

It is a public group so just don't look at it - please join :-)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next