View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
Although it seems a lot longer back in time today is just the third anniversary of when I saw my very first Ian Hunter & The Rant Band show, at The Picturedome in Holmfirth, Yorkshire on October 14, 2012 after a wait of over thirty years :-) :-) (I had previously seen two of the Mott The Hoople reunion shows in London in November 2009). It was a real 'pinch yourself am I dreaming' moment experiencing such a fantastic show in a great venue. And I enjoyed the following shows in Manchester and London even more once the disbelief of it finally happening had disappeared :-) It was also the first time I met some of the fabulous fellow fans / friends who I have caught up with several times since. A bit further down the track I've met Ian and the guys in the band numerous times - great musicians on stage and great people off stage :-) As luck would have it two great clips appeared on youtube from that Holmfirth show and they feature the back of my head (the tall guy with dark hair) standing a couple of people in front of the camera - a great memento :-) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN7bu9gnGFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5lYXO0lEkU

Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:05 am

tomcaulf wrote:
A legitimate, respected and experienced promoter based in Melbourne is interested in trying to bring Ian Hunter & The Rant Band out to Australia :-) :-) He rang me last Friday after being put in contact through a mutual friend and we chatted for about half an hour or more. He's asked to see my ideas, suggestions and projections and then he will crunch the numbers and hopefully make an offer.

It is very early days and just one part (but a very important one) of a complex equation. Fingers crossed :-) :-)

I won't comment any more on this development for privacy reasons but it is great news that a legitimate promoter is at least interested :-)

The information / ideas / projections were sent to the promoter on the weekend. He got back to me the very next day saying he would review it all and devise his own budget with a view to getting an offer to Ian's agent :-) :-) :-)

"Now it's a mighty long way down the dusty trail
As the sun shines on the Flinders Street rails
'N the plane engines hum as we leave a vapour trail
All the way to Melbourne".

Fingers and every other extension / part of my body crossed :-) :-)

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:54 am

Wow, sounds promising Tom.
We'd better get saving!!

Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 pm

geofff wrote:
Wow, sounds promising Tom.
We'd better get saving!!

Geofff - It ain't happening until the man in the glasses sings (in Melbourne, Sydney .....) :-) Time will tell :-)

If it does happen the more 'travellers' the better :-) :-) It would be nice for my role to be reversed for a change - and welcome the 'travellers' as opposed to being one :-) Although there would still be a bit of travelling around the country to the shows :-)

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:31 pm

As luck would have it next month Def Leppard are touring Australia, featuring as everyone knows one of Ian Hunter / MTH's biggest fans, Joe Elliott :-)

I know Joe has his Down 'n' Outz project but do DL play any Hunter / MTH covers during their recent shows?

I haven't met Joe before (I could have if I had been more forward in the foyer at the MTH 2013 show in Glasgow. He was only metres away. I've had a few near misses at other shows). I was hoping to make contact with him with the view of catching up with him in Melbourne to publicise the campaign, and see if he will give the campaign and Ian a shout out / plug during their show. It would be great if Hunter / MTH's number one Australian fan met another big UK fan :-)

Please PM me if you have any suggestions on the best / easiest way to contact Joe :-)

Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:46 am

tomcaulf wrote:
As luck would have it next month Def Leppard are touring Australia, featuring as everyone knows one of Ian Hunter / MTH's biggest fans, Joe Elliott :-)

I know Joe has his Down 'n' Outz project but do DL play any Hunter / MTH covers during their recent shows?

I once saw Def Leppard play Dudes a few years ago, but that was only after they invited Ian up on stage with them. I happened to be wearing an IH shirt to the show, and got quite a few good comments afterwards.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:43 pm
Profile WWW

lewscannon wrote:
I once saw Def Leppard play Dudes a few years ago, but that was only after they invited Ian up on stage with them.

That encore was recorded and appears on the 'Once Bitten Twice Shy' compilation released in 2000.

And the Lepps recorded 'Who Do You Love' as a B-side... not sure if they ever performed it live.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:04 pm

hookway wrote:
lewscannon wrote:
I once saw Def Leppard play Dudes a few years ago, but that was only after they invited Ian up on stage with them.

That encore was recorded and appears on the 'Once Bitten Twice Shy' compilation released in 2000.

And the Lepps recorded 'Who Do You Love' as a B-side... not sure if they ever performed it live.

Wow, in 2000? Time flies when you're down to double digits in brain cells :-)

They also do GAORAR on their covers record, 'Yeah'.

Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 pm
Profile WWW

And a belting version of GAORAR it is too!

That covers album 'Yeah' is bloody good IMHO

MO

Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks for the Def Leppard feedback guys :-)

Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:19 am

I have just been shortlisted fro a job in Western Australia with an interview next week, so I am now following Tom's campaign with even more interest!

I think you need to include Perth in the list of potential venues Tom!

:D

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 am

Man Overboard wrote:
I have just been shortlisted fro a job in Western Australia with an interview next week, so I am now following Tom's campaign with even more interest!

I suggested Perth (lots of English expats live over there plus a few of Australia's greatest bands originated from Perth eg. Hoodoo Gurus, The Scientists) but if it happens it's up to the promoter where the shows will happen :-) :-( Otherwise it's not that far from Perth to Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide :-)

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:28 am

tomcaulf wrote:
Man Overboard wrote:

I suggested Perth (lots of English expats live over there plus a few of Australia's greatest bands originated from Perth eg. Hoodoo Gurus, The Scientists) but if it happens it's up to the promoter where the shows will happen :-) :-( Otherwise it's not that far from Perth to Melbourne, Sydney or Adelaide :-)

Coincidentally, last week a fellow Ian Hunter / MTH fan, Martin, who lives in Perth and is from the UK originally went to see Graham Gouldman's 10cc in concert in Perth. Martin was wearing a MTH t-shirt to the after gig function, during which time he met and spoke to Graham Gouldman and the Perth-based promoter. Apparently the local promoter is interested in being involved in the Perth end of things if an Ian Hunter tour eventuates so I have been asked to pass on his expression of interest and details to the promoter I have been talking to :-) Whether he is interested in joint promotions I don't know but as with all of this time will tell :-)

I met Martin for the first time at the MTH reunion show at the Manchester Apollo in November 2013. As it happened us two Aussie fans were sitting next to each other at the concert. I caught up with him again in London the next day before the 02 Arena show.

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:01 am

Another of Ian Hunter's fans / friends is touring Australia again next year - Jeff Tweedy of Wilco :-) He is bringing his other band Tweedy (which includes his son Spencer), and the shows will also feature him playing solo as well so maybe an opportunity to slip in an Ian Hunter cover :-) Jeff appeared on a few tracks on Ian's great 'Shrunken Heads' album from a few years ago. The attached clip features Wilco about two years ago playing Woody Guthrie's 'California Stars' and MTH's 'All The Young Dudes' with Ian Hunter and James Mastro from The Rant Band as special guests :-) I'm also a big Wilco fan so I would have loved to have been at this show. I know this clip has made a few appearances on the Message Board but it is always worth another viewing :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1JGV5b1kU

The last year or two has been a big year for members of the Ian Hunter 'family' visiting or touring Australia :-) Early last year we had Andy Burton touring with John Mayer, and Steve Holley visiting his father on the NSW coast. Early this year we had Tracie Hunter and Maggi Ronson in Adelaide for a one-off ensemble show, this month it's Joe Elliott with Def Leppard and now next year Jeff Tweedy :-) All we need now is the man himself and The Rant Band to complete the picture :-) ;-)

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:12 am

tomcaulf wrote:
The last year or two has been a big year for members of the Ian Hunter 'family' visiting or touring Australia :-) Early last year we had Andy Burton touring with John Mayer, and Steve Holley visiting his father on the NSW coast. Early this year we had Tracie Hunter and Maggi Ronson in Adelaide for a one-off ensemble show, this month it's Joe Elliott with Def Leppard and now next year Jeff Tweedy :-) All we need now is the man himself and The Rant Band to complete the picture :-) ;-)

I knew I forgot someone :-) :roll: A couple of weeks ago they announced that John Mellencamp will be touring Australia in February so I'm assuming Andy York will be in the country as well :-) :-)

Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next