View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
What Are You Watching? 

Post What Are You Watching?
The excellent two part music documentary 'Blood + Thunder - The Sound Of Alberts' on blu-ray - in memory of the late great George Young who has just died. I've posted about it in the past. A great documentary on the Sydney record company Albert Productions and their involvement with the Young family - The Easybeats, AC/DC and their many other music acts.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Post Re: What Are You Watching?
I saw that on TV a while back ( I assume it was the same documentary - not too many about Alberts). Does the bluray have more than what would have been shown on tv?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Feeling under the weather so I fired up the fire stick (pun intended) and watched Pans Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:45 pm

callmeafan3 wrote:
Feeling under the weather so I fired up the fire stick (pun intended) and watched Pans Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro

Have you seen "devils backbone"? another great Del Toro flick.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:33 am

Not yet but it's on my list. Thanks for the heads up

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 pm

just finished watching the first series of Jordskott - a Swedish (English subtitles) 10 parter based on a female detective looking for a missing child believing that she has found her own child (believed to have drowned 5 years previously). Then all the supernatural stuff creeps in - mainly from the forest which is endangered by a corporation run by her own father before he died.

Plenty of twists along the way.

G

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:09 pm

grastark wrote:
just finished watching the first series of Jordskott - a Swedish (English subtitles) 10 parter based on a female detective looking for a missing child believing that she has found her own child (believed to have drowned 5 years previously). Then all the supernatural stuff creeps in - mainly from the forest which is endangered by a corporation run by her own father before he died.

G

A "green" horror movie? :D

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:03 am

rick a. wrote:
grastark wrote:

G

A "green" horror movie? :D

So many scenes are in the dark or shadows it is almost black.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:37 am

I have been watching a new 6 part series about the magazine (ie not the Muddy Waters song, not the Bob Dylan song, not the band) Rolling Stone. 5 of the 6 (UK) programmes now watched and i have learned such a lot. I didn't realise before but it turns out that the USA virtually owes it's existence to RS, who have been the thumping heart behind the nation despite being kicked at over the years. I now know that they have the best writers ever and they have never published a story that is wrong or self publicising. They do admit though to being in existence to make a profit (the only statement made during the series which does not seek to promote RS as an independent truth seeking, good for the people publication).

Oh - I should mention that the series was produced by some company called Rolling Stone Productions. Plus it also just happens to coincide with Jann Wenner wanting to sell his interests in the magazine, so it would be fairly handy for him of it's price went up with a load of good publicity.

G

Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 pm

God, I love rock and roll propaganda!

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 pm

I've been watching the new Black Sabbath documentary about the bands last tour."The end of the end". They sound as good as ever. Well filmed concert clips but they have that annoying habit of breaking into a song with some interview clips. I HATE when they do that. But it still is a good take although you won't really learn anything new about the band.

Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:37 pm

[quote="rick a."]...... annoying habit of breaking into a song with some interview clips. I HATE when they do that. ....../quote]

totally agreed.

There are 3 reasons why they do this.

1. If they only have a short clip of something they can get away without paying royalties - I don't know the full story but it may be that if they talk over it they might be able to class it as "background music "or something.

2. They want to ensure that people are not able to do an unofficial recording of what they are showing - effectively spoiling the record - but that spoils it also for the legitimate listener.

3. They believe that the music (or whatever) will not stand up on it's own. That may or may not be the case, but there seems to be an understanding that the listener gets bored after about half a minute without havig an announcer tell them stuff - a case of self importance I think.

As an add, I also hate the way that when a programme finishes and the credits start to roll, someone comes on a tell s us about some other programme that will be coming next or shortly - often with the actual picture reduced to a small box on the left hand size. This totally ignores the fact that some programmes show additional clips (or have specific voice over extras) that are meant to be seen or heard by the viewer.

G

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:21 pm

G this isn't like that. It's a for the band, by the band production. It's funny, but if you read reviews on Amazon you'll see a bunch of people complaining about some of their other videos Sabbath has been involved in having the same issues. At least this time the song can be heard softly(not a good word when Sabbath is involved!) in the background, but it's still annoying. I heard you can buuy the concert video of the film with the music only. I will be settling for the CD. More songs, uninterrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5nYmTUfnQ

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

A national live telecast tonight of the legendary Paul Kelly's concert from the Sydney Opera House forecourt as part of the Ausmusic Month celebrations :-) Attached is a link to the online streaming of the concert for local and international fans to watch :-)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... ent_filter

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge. Hadn't seen it since the 60's. My wife had never seen it. I told her there is a huge twist at the end. When she saw it she was quite surprised.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next