View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263  Next
What are you listening to? PART 5 

Post Re: What are you listening to? PART 5
The Rolling Stones On Air (the double CD version). Apparently this was produced by using some new "de-mix" process which can accurately break down each individual instrument from the original tracks, for decent remastering. The sound on most certainly does sound good maybe a bit too much bass, but that is how the Stones did play in the early days with Bill's oversized speaker set up compared with the others.) You can certainly close your eyes and imagine that you are there whilst listening. The sceptical me wonders how much has been recently "touched up".

Apart from the decent(ish) sound for these types of recording, it is good to hear them playing the more obscure songs - opr even well known ones that they did not originally record (Keef riffin' away on Roll Over Beethoven for example).

For some reason the songs are not in chronological order which would have made sense to me. Also mysteriously the the sixties years from 1963 to 1969 are boldly highlighted in the booklet, although the songs all come from a less than 2 year period between 1963 and 1965 - and yet again the booklet talks about 4 years of broadcasting. - all rather muddled.

However - still a decent package

G

(side note - I saw an email last week while we were away saying that this had been despatched from RS website and I was wondering who could have bought it for me because I did not think I had ordered it. Eventually I recalled sticking an order in a few months ago when it was announced - and it looked at the time as though they had the 2CD version on at a bargain price - so I went for it. Good job that I didn't order it again when I was browsing a couple of weeks ago). :wink:

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

On Again,On Again-Jake Thackray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmwyp38VwMQ

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 am

We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'N' Roll-Black Sabbath

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Charlie Parker At Storyville

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:08 am

A week ago I had never heard of the Louisiana born and raised veteran blues / soul / gospel musician Robert Finley. But after reading a great article about him in the latest issue of 'Mojo' magazine and a very positive review by a music industry FB friend in Sydney I checked him out online and liked what I heard :-) He is in his 60s but only recorded his first and second albums in the last few years. Needless to say I've ordered both albums from Amazon.com in the USA :-) You might like him Gerry and David amongst others.

https://youtu.be/61FcT0T4H6Y

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:58 am

Savoy Brown, since seeing Kim burn it up last weekend I've been dipping into my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDw3nDV5tV8

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Waffles,Triangles & Jesus-Jim White

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:00 am

One of today's charity shop finds - Alvin Lee And Company - Ten Years After

G

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Ram-Paul McCartney

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Stones Sticky Fingers box set. ( a genuine Amazon bargain prior to Black Friday. This is a quality made set throughout, but I am not about to review the whole thing here. I just wanted to discuss one moment of one track.

Of all the many highspots in rock, there are several great moments created by a release from a period of sustained tension (that could be either due to positive tension building or merely something going on a bit too long and becoming monotonous). Examples are Hendrix at Monterey mucking about with what is supposed to be the joint US and UK anthems eventually leading into the opening riff of Wild Thing, the testifying (problem or solution) prior to MC5 ripping into Ramblin’ Rose on Kick Out The Jams, Leslie West’s guitar solo going straight into the Roll Over Beethoven lick on Flowers Of Evil or even the riff coming back in at the end of the elongated Wheels Of Fire version of Toad. There are more, but now I have another.

This is from the 3rd CD in the Sticky Fingers box set featuring Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out, a old bootleg often referred to as the best recorded Stones performance. This is definitely not bootleg quality though – it stands up very well. The highlight of the disc for me though is Midnight Rambler. This starts (as they often did at the time) by them playing around with the song – kind of playing and singing the right notes and tone, but not in the right order or speed – kind of jamming all over the place. After nearly a minute and a half (just after you hear a guitar being plugged in), Keef grabs it by the scruff of the neck and with heavy distortion, kicks off the correct riff - it is a joy to hear as the whole band falls in behind him. Another classic moment of time that I mentioned earlier.

As a side issue, when I first played it (at customary high volume), I thought that I had blown my right speaker with so much distortion coming out, but it is just the way that Keef had his guitar / amp set up - as proven afterwards when I played it back it a much quieter volume and could still hear the same distortion.

Brilliant.

G

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 pm

grastark wrote:
Stones Sticky Fingers box set. ( a genuine Amazon bargain prior to Black Friday. This is a quality made set throughout, but I am not about to review the whole thing here. I just wanted to discuss one moment of one track.

Of all the many highspots in rock, there are several great moments created by a release from a period of sustained tension (that could be either due to positive tension building or merely something going on a bit too long and becoming monotonous). Examples are Hendrix at Monterey mucking about with what is supposed to be the joint US and UK anthems eventually leading into the opening riff of Wild Thing, the testifying (problem or solution) prior to MC5 ripping into Ramblin’ Rose on Kick Out The Jams, Leslie West’s guitar solo going straight into the Roll Over Beethoven lick on Flowers Of Evil or even the riff coming back in at the end of the elongated Wheels Of Fire version of Toad. There are more, but now I have another.

This is from the 3rd CD in the Sticky Fingers box set featuring Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out, a old bootleg often referred to as the best recorded Stones performance. This is definitely not bootleg quality though – it stands up very well. The highlight of the disc for me though is Midnight Rambler. This starts (as they often did at the time) by them playing around with the song – kind of playing and singing the right notes and tone, but not in the right order or speed – kind of jamming all over the place. After nearly a minute and a half (just after you hear a guitar being plugged in), Keef grabs it by the scruff of the neck and with heavy distortion, kicks off the correct riff - it is a joy to hear as the whole band falls in behind him. Another classic moment of time that I mentioned earlier.

As a side issue, when I first played it (at customary high volume), I thought that I had blown my right speaker with so much distortion coming out, but it is just the way that Keef had his guitar / amp set up - as proven afterwards when I played it back it a much quieter volume and could still hear the same distortion.

Brilliant.

G

"customary high volume" G. What do the neighbors think of you? :mrgreen:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:24 am

rick a. wrote:
....."customary high volume" G. What do the neighbors think of you? :mrgreen:

Don't know but I do see them them looking over when passing (hifi in front room).

I should add that I only listen seriously to stuff when Rose is out. The other day I thought I had cracked it - she was watching TV in the other room, so with 2 doors and a hallway between us I thought I would be ok if I turned it down a touch. The next day when I went to try the same again she said "don't have it so loud this time I could hardly hear the tv". I didn't bother and waited until she was out again.

G

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:40 am

Mott The Hoople - 1st Island album. Magnificent.

G

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Heart Full Of Soul-Chris Isaak

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am

Where One Is-Dick Heckstall-Smith

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3934 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263  Next