View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Recent Shows 

Post Re: Recent Shows
grastark wrote:
hookway wrote:
....my entry point was 'Temple Beautiful'... so that one holds a favourite spot for me.

It is often the way that the first cut is the deepest.

G

First cut = the Chuckster live fifteen + years ago at a small bar here in the Kentucky horse country with Chuck writhing on the floor rapping into his uber distorted bullet mic against the backbeat of Winston Watson (his stretch as drummer for Dylan's never ending tour, alas, ended) "I AM the Shore Patrol" .... so I'd throw in "The Hurting Business" as well. My overall favorite is still "No other Love." You can catch the flavor of "The Hurting Business" if you cherry pick "Shore Patrol" and "Diamond Jim" .... There's not much filler to be had with any of 'em... 8)

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:59 am

Savoy Brown

At 70 years old Kim Simmons still has it going as he proved in a great show last friday night at the Bull Run in the woods in Shirley ,Ma. Mixing some great new tunes from his recent "witchy feeling" disc along with favorites like "street corner talking", "Tell Mama", "Needle and spoon", "hard way to go", "louisiana blues" ,I'm tired", and "hellbound train", he sang and played great. Lots of jamming and a killer slow blues I don't know the name of. He was very talkative and told some good stories from the early days. The concert was sold out (around 300). It's nice to see a good crowd for an artist who never really received the recognition he deserved.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:54 pm

rick a. wrote:
Savoy Brown

At 70 years old Kim Simmons ......

It would be nice to see him - good one Rick.

G

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 pm

grastark wrote:
rick a. wrote:
Savoy Brown

At 70 years old Kim Simmons ......

It would be nice to see him - good one Rick.

G

Although it may be difficult for Gra to abide the Knopfler comparisons 8) , thought Rick and G. might be interested in this one:

http://nodepression.com/album-review/savoy-brown-gets-witchy

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:14 pm

You know me well. :wink:

However i would say that although they both sing similar notes with that sliding down the scale voice, KS is simply not boring as is the other bloke.

That is a good article though. (note I think that Blue Matter has always been my favourite of their albums).

G

Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Nice review. Kim has been putting out quality albums for quite some time. And he still can play some tasteful guitar. I wonder how much he practices these days?

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2