View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
What Are You Reading? 

Post What Are You Reading?
Roots, Radicals And Rockers - How Skiffle Changed The World - Billy Bragg.

An interesting, entertaining and well written account of the Skiffle craze in the UK in the mid to late 1950s. How it emerged from the trad. jazz scene and pre-empted and assisted the blues and rock explosion of the early 1960s and the beyond. I bought it in the UK in June but just got around finishing reading it.

I'm sure Ian would enjoy it :-) He gets a very brief mention towards the end of the book when Billy cites a few rock music legends who got their music industry starts playing skiffle music :-)

Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 am

Post Re: What Are You Reading?
One that I have just finished reading - Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock 'n' Roll by Peter Guralnick. A very thick book, although focussing obviously on Sam Philips, everyone else's stories are intertwined. As a "Sun Records" fan I found it to be obligatory reading, but should suit anyone interested in the early days of rock and roll. A couple of facts that I took away were how despite Sam giving him untold help throughout, his brother Judd seemed hellbent on destroying him at every turn although Sam would not have anything bad said about his brother, and how setting up radio stations was probably more important to Sam that Sun Records.

G

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am

That Sam Phillips book has been on my 'to buy' list ever since it was released :-) But I haven't got it yet. Peter Guralnick is one of my favourite music book writers. I have several of his other books.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 am

I want to read that too, but sometimes I feel it's a bit of a cliche to claim Phillips "invented" rock and roll. He was a force, no doubt, but I think RnR would have happened without him too. There I've blasphemed. Strike me down with a Martin guitar.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 am

I would say that the book title and comments on the front cover are more to gain the attention of casual buyers who don't really know. The book digs deep into his life and one thing that comes across very clear is that making records and producing artists were not his main love - that belonged to setting up and running (actually more just the setting up) of radio stations.

It is also clear that he never really wanted to have his own label but circumstances drove him that way.

Plus that he was fiercely loyal to his brother (Jud), despite Jud selling him down the river whenver he had the opportunity (and Sam kept handing him that).

G

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Just got the autobiography of Dave Hill from Slade - not read it yet but looked at 2 MTH references listed in the index, both relate to Slade seeing the band and copying the style and adding their own bits to it - it should be an interesting read

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 pm

I recall reading a newspaper article (can't remember which paper, but it was a national , not a music paper) sometime around 1970 or 1971, before either band (MTH or Slade) had any hits. The article was highlighting the life of a couple of typical British bands slogging their way around the country - both with their own league of dedicated fans but neither had national recognition at that stage. The crux of the article was that the odds were that one of them would probably make it and the other fall away, but the writer did not know who and which way it would go. There was a bit in there though trying to (in typical newspaper fashion) hype up some (so far as I know , false) bitter rivalry between the 2 bands.

G

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 pm

I remember seeing Slade back in the glorious 70's. They dressed weird, so I thought. Jeans with pant legs rolled up and work boots. Kind of a skinhead thing actually.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 pm

The skinhead look was how their management wanted to promote them when they didn't make it with their original hippy look. But it didn't take them long to get over the pure skinhead thing and kind of gel parts of that look together with the up and coming glam look - that amalgamation of styles is what they settled down with and made their fortune.

G

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Slade is similar to IH as American remakes were more popular and sold more in the US than the originals (OBTW, C'mon Feel the Noize, etc)

Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:26 pm

A bit of trivia Dave Hills aunt was my music teacher at school.
8)

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:54 pm

weirdandgilly wrote:
8)

Did he ever show up at any of the classes?

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am

rick a. wrote:
weirdandgilly wrote:
8)

Did he ever show up at any of the classes?[/quote
No Rick he never did but who in there right mind would turn up to a school in Glasgow.
:mrgreen:

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]