View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Technically right or aurally right? 

Post Technically right or aurally right?
So, going through my vinyl to weed out ones that are effectively redundant so I could comfortably sell, I have approached "L" for Lead Belly. I have 2 albums which are basically the same, albeit with 2 tracks swapped around and whears one is a 1970 USA copy, the other is on a slightly suspect 1982 Italian label.

USA copy. A more satisfying sleeve , decent artwork and some info on Lead Belly on the rear, but it is worn - VG although no splits or tears. The record has a lot of surface marks and many fine scratches resulting in a continual light clicking throughout playback, but the actual sound is pretty true and is listenable. Behind the stylus noise you can hear what sound like playback noise of the original disc that this was recorded from many years ago and it is likely that a lot of the clicks etc are actually from the source recording also. It has been electronically stereo simulated but not very noticeably and does not spoil it. It would be a nice item if not worn.

Italy copy. The sleeve is quite boring with just a load of large type lettering - saved a bit by a decent photo of Lead Belly on the front. It is very clean an probably a strong EX. The record looks virtually mint although the label has slight wear so probably call it a very strong EX - there is certainly no stylus nose on playback. This is also electronically stereosised although it does not say so and that is the problem. Although when they mastered this one they got rid of virtually all of the background noise (associated with so many old blues records), the stereo thing has affected the actual sound of Lead Belly's voice. It is still strong and vibrant, but it seems to bounce around between left & right channels - it is also rather penetrating. There does not seem to be sound of the old playback records or any undue sound from this near mint vinyl, but there is s definite low level hum which added to the slightly shrill sounding, channel chopping penetrating voice makes it a bit hard to sit down and listen to for long.

So the issue is - which copy to sell. I first thought to keep the USA one because it is a much nicer album with a better "natural" sound although worn with all of those noises. Then after playing back both I changed my mind, considering that the Italian one has such a "noiseless" playback it has to be the one to keep. But then again I rethought again about the irritating way the voice bounces around in front of my with a certain sharpness and decided to keep the old worn out US copy.

What would you have done?

G

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Post Re: Technically right or aurally right?
Kept them both.......

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 pm

I would put the Italian disc in the American cover

Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:00 am

I'd keep the U.S. version because the sound is closer to the recording. Surface noise doesn't bother me.

It's been three decades since records became effectively obsolete, but whenever I play my "Abbey Road" CD, I still expect that pop at the beginning of "Here Comes the Sun."

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:27 am

I totally heard it in my mind reading your post

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm
Site Admin

Sell them both and buy a better US copy.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

well, I like Ray and Justin's answers, although -

Keep both ? - that is what I decided on my original trawl through to get rid of the dross. It was an easy answer then, but now I restarted from "A" with a determination to out unnecessary duplications or those which I know that I don't really care for too much although originally thinking that I should keep them. This has even resulted in an Animals LP and an Eric Burdon LP going (automatic keepers the first time around). I should add that I probably have the individual tracks on various other LPs or possibly CDs so I am covered with the actual songs. So one has to go.

Sell both and buy a better USA original? This is good thinking and very tempting, but again it goes against the grain of what I am trying to do (a vague target of getting down to only 1000 vinyl albums).

The answer? - I am going along with briananderson - a much truer actual music/voice sound (and this is why we listen to the music in the first place) - just ignore the crackles.

Thank you all. I thought that this would be a pleasant interlude from all the normal posts.

G

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm

Keep the english version. You won't understand the lyrics in Italian anyway......... :?

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]