View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What Are You Watching? 

Post Re: What Are You Watching?
rick a. wrote:
G this isn't like that. It's a for the band, by the band production. It's funny, but if you read reviews on Amazon you'll see a bunch of people complaining about some of their other videos Sabbath has been involved in having the same issues. At least this time the song can be heard softly(not a good word when Sabbath is involved!) in the background, but it's still annoying. I heard you can buuy the concert video of the film with the music only. I will be settling for the CD. More songs, uninterrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5nYmTUfnQ

so it is a version of my answer 2 then. They want to make sure that people buy the special edition or whatever so that they can just hear the music if they choose to. Quite a lot of blu rays come out liek this - either watch teh whole thing, or just select the music only version. It is an alternative to films have the whole film again as an extra but with the director's commentary instead of the normal soundtrack.

It would be so much better for us if they just kept the talk away from the music, although it would make the overall disc longer.

G

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

grastark wrote:
rick a. wrote:
G this isn't like that. It's a for the band, by the band production. It's funny, but if you read reviews on Amazon you'll see a bunch of people complaining about some of their other videos Sabbath has been involved in having the same issues. At least this time the song can be heard softly(not a good word when Sabbath is involved!) in the background, but it's still annoying. I heard you can buuy the concert video of the film with the music only. I will be settling for the CD. More songs, uninterrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5nYmTUfnQ

so it is a version of my answer 2 then. They want to make sure that people buy the special edition or whatever so that they can just hear the music if they choose to. Quite a lot of blu rays come out liek this - either watch teh whole thing, or just select the music only version. It is an alternative to films have the whole film again as an extra but with the director's commentary instead of the normal soundtrack.

It would be so much better for us if they just kept the talk away from the music, although it would make the overall disc longer.

G

Better or us old farts who don't suffer from short attention span issues!

Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 pm

'Friday On My Mind' - the first episode of a great two-part biopic series on national television in Australia about the fantastic 60s band The Easybeats :-) It's a repeat showing of the premiere from last Sunday night which I missed due to work commitments. The second episode is being televised tomorrow night. The series had finished production and the on-air dates scheduled before the sad death of key member George Young a few weeks ago.

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:35 pm

tomcaulf wrote:
'Friday On My Mind' - the first episode of a great two-part biopic series on national television in Australia about the fantastic 60s band The Easybeats :-) It's a repeat showing of the premiere from last Sunday night which I missed due to work commitments. The second episode is being televised tomorrow night. The series had finished production and the on-air dates scheduled before the sad death of key member George Young a few weeks ago.

hope that airs in the UK eventually.

G

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Something has finally made sense to me.

I always thought that U2 were one of those boring "look how cool we are" bands who had no real substance, but I could never understand why they were rated so highly. I am watching the 4 disc dvd of Live Aid (a charity shop bargain that I could not resist). Admittedly I have only so far viewed the first disc, but now I understand......the rest of the 80's bands were so bad and even further way up themselves,that anyone wanting someone to latch on to have to go with U2 - in comparison they were great (but in reality still crap).

G

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:12 pm

grastark wrote:
Something has finally made sense to me.

I always thought that U2 were one of those boring "look how cool we are" bands who had no real substance, but I could never understand why they were rated so highly. I am watching the 4 disc dvd of Live Aid (a charity shop bargain that I could not resist). Admittedly I have only so far viewed the first disc, but now I understand......the rest of the 80's bands were so bad and even further way up themselves,that anyone wanting someone to latch on to have to go with U2 - in comparison they were great (but in reality still crap).

G

Wasn't Albert Collins on that guesting with George Thoroughgood? I always liked Ultravox myself, and so does CR I've been told.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:36 am

yes AC was on one of George's songs. Now watched all the dvds and there were some better bands (eg George Thorogood), but still showed how poor the 80's ones were.

G

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 am

I have been watching some of the Celebrity Mastermind programmes that they always have on tv over Christmas. This is one of the hardest quizzes on TV. I should add that I do not refer to the questions, but to the identity of each so called celebrity - I think that I may have sort of vaguely recognised a couple so far. Where do they drag them up from?

G

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:41 pm

I have the same problem.

People magazine used to have human interest stories about real people. Now, just a bunch of photos of "celebrities." I have no idea who most of them are! Maybe in my advanced age I've just lost touch. :wink:

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:55 pm

I realized (realised for those across the pond) I was out of touch about two decades ago when I discovered the word "dude' had become "gender neutral" without my knowledge or consent.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Finally checked out "Beside Bowie ...." It was not quite as "Bowie-centric" as I feared it might be. For someone like me with a late appreciation of Ronno's career, it was a decent overview.

I wish someone would chronicle Mick's contribution to Bustin' Out, by Pure Prairie League. The first two albums from that band are very much overlooked classics to folks who appreciate "Country Rock" (whatever that is). Ronno's string arrangement on "Call Me, Tell Me" ALMOST ranks with his work on "Sea Diver." It took me a while to a appreciate it, since the tune as whole struck me for years as being a bit "syrupy" (never had that problem with "Sea Diver' - because it has such depth -- just a stunning song). I have gown to really love it, though (old age?).

Link to a version here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YteUtJUlsBk

Worth acquiring by other means to appreciate the Ronno string arrangement flourishes... Still have my RCA 'Dynaflex" vinyl of this one. The word is the fact that Ronno shared a label with the band led to his contribution, but there are only snippets on the web regarding the extent of same (did he really sing harmony on "Amy"?). This work was a least worthy of a mention ....

Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:28 am

Interesting. I note that Ronno nicked Angel #9, Woman and Leave My Heart Alone all from this album, for later use.

G

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:44 am

grastark wrote:
Interesting. I note that Ronno nicked Angel #9, Woman and Leave My Heart Alone all from this album, for later use.

G

Right -- Ronno recognized talent. His version of Angel #9 really captures his epic tone. Songwriter: Craig Fuller -- key player on the first two PPL albums -- who later did a stint in Little Feat. He is still around. I wonder if the documentarians even thought of interviewing him?

Things that really helped make the first 2 PPL albums minor classics -- in addition to Fuller's contributions:

1. Self titled release -- John Call's steel guitar
2. "Bustin' Out" -- Ronno.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2