View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 96  Next
Recent Gigs 

Post Re: Recent Gigs
Buckeye Randy wrote:
...........Back to the question, anybody miss sheer volume?

pardon?

G

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Were Iggy or the Dolls were compensating for something?

Yes. They were compensating for the fact that they not terribly good musicians at the time. Still quite entertaining, though. I've seen Iggy plenty of times, but never in a club as small as the Paradise. He was always in 1500 capacity theaters at least.

Justin

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:40 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

All,

Speaking of the Darkness, Justin Hawkins just made an appearance in a Samsung ad during the Superbowl.

http://www.youtube.com/user/samsungmobileusa?v=CgfknZidYq0

Justin

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 am
Profile WWW

I suppose volume is one way to compensate for lack of musical ability but I also think there are other ways, mainly attitude. If the Stooges would have come from Juilliard would Iggy's attitude been as much fun?

Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:02 am
Site Admin

Quote:
I suppose volume is one way to compensate for lack of musical ability

It's also a way to compensate for the lack of a really compelling stage act. But that was never a problem for Iggy or the Dolls.

Justin

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

bad music is bad, loud or soft, and good music is good,loud or soft. I'm not sure I agree with the loud=bad connection.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
bad music is bad, loud or soft, and good music is good,loud or soft. I'm not sure I agree with the loud=bad connection

I think there is a difference between "not being a terribly good musician" and "bad music". IMHO some of the best music in the world was played by people who were not particularly good.

Justin

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:11 am
Profile WWW

I walked out of two concerts because they were painfully loud: Ted Nugent and the J. Geils Band. Ironically I did not think that Deep Purple, The Who, and Led Zep were too loud. I walked out on two bands because they were boring: Kiss and Fleetwood Mac (the Buckingham/Nicks version). And no, Randy, we did not walk out on Sparks because we would have lost our seats for Hunter and Ronson (1975). That's how much we wanted to see Hunter/Ronson. I carry those emotional scars around with me every day. It constitutes a sort of tinnitus of my soul that won't ever go away, a sort of hissing/roaring sound that plays Wonder Girl over and over.

I have played in bands off and on since 1972 and my hearing appears to be OK. Like Randy I am in a line of work where my hearing gets checked annually and it appears I am fairly normal. This is amazing considering nearly every rock guitarist thinks they need to be turned up. Like Justin I have had my ears blasted a few times, usually by the aforementioned guitarists, but my hearing has always bounced back. I consider myself fortunate.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Justin wrote:
some of the best music in the world was played by people who were not particularly good.

Justin

Like it.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Justin wrote:
Quote:
bad music is bad, loud or soft, and good music is good,loud or soft. I'm not sure I agree with the loud=bad connection

I think there is a difference between "not being a terribly good musician" and "bad music". IMHO some of the best music in the world was played by people who were not particularly good.

Justin

just 2 words:
Johnny Thunders

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:10 am

caztah wrote:
Justin wrote:
Quote:

Justin

just 2 words:
Johnny Thunders

First off, I like the NY Dolls and Johnny's solo work but I never saw Johnny Thunders perform live. If never seeing Thunder's play live means my opinion doesn't count, fair enough.

I do own one live disc by Johnny Thunders And The Heartbreakers, "Vive La Revolution".

This from Allmusic

"With such a glut of live Johnny Thunders albums on the market, it's becoming increasingly tough to locate the best. One somewhat helpful guideline to use is "the earlier the show, the better" -- because as Johnny Thunders' career continued on, the more he relied on drugs, which resulted in very sloppy performances that teetered on the edge of unlistenable. But Vive la Revolution! is definitely one of the better live Thunders sets out there, as it catches the Heartbreakers early on (in Paris on December 8, 1977)."

If I'm to believe the article, I own a very good live effort by Johnny. Well, I think "Metallic KO" sounds like a polished pop album compared to "Vive La Revolution". I find the CD a very rough listen and only play it once a year and only then because I paid $19.99 in 1996 for it (I keep receipts), I will get my money's worth!

Your thoughts on this CD?

I will say before anybody else says it, a live recording is not always an accurate measuring stick of energy and stage presence.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
If I'm to believe the article, I own a very good live effort by Johnny

I listened to the sound clips on Amazon, and while I can't really comment on the performance, the sound is crap. I would recommend "Live At Max's Kansas City", "DTK/Live at the Speakeasy", or "Live at the Lyceum Ballroom" instead.

Justin

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:51 pm
Profile WWW

The Hamsters at The Band On The Wall last night with Mick. Various people have been telling me to see them for years so I finally go to see them on their farewell tour & have spent the day kicking myself for not doing this a long time ago.
A great three piece band doing Hendrix & ZZ Top covers & original material. The guitarist had a great line of between songs chat & they're all accomplished players.
For me the highlights were some of the Hendrix covers & version of Tush at least as good as the original. The last song of the set pre encore was Sharp Dressed Man, the two guitarists had wireless guitars with illuminated frets & came into the audience even going upstairs, they then swapped guitars & then the lead guitarist & drummer switched, wonderful fun.
If any of you get the chance to see them GO, before they call it a day.

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:48 pm

I've seen the Hamsters a few times and while good, I got bored of the Hendrix covers they did - the ZZ Top covers were limited when I first saw them so didn't get noticed ... or I didn't know they were ZZ Top songs at the time.

After a few times of seeing them, they started advertising 'Hendrix' shows or 'ZZ Top' shows so I stopped seeing them - they are great musicians but I can't be bothered with copycats

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:39 am

How do the Hamsters play ZZ Top as a three piece? ZZ Top can't!

The most shameless use I've ever seen of hidden musicians (maybe prerecorded music?) was by ZZ Top. I've seen plenty of bands (Stones, Queen, Cheap Trick) have an extra musician or two toward the rear of the stage. The band usually even gives the helper bee a shout out at some point during the show and I think that's great. ZZ Top had crunchy rythym guitar played by _______ and great keyboards played by _______ and the back up vocals that sure seemed rich as well. This was back in '91 so they might actually play as a five peice now or just not play all their 80's fluff stuff with keyboards, I don't know.

Anybody seen them lately?

Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 1434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 96  Next