View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign 

Post Re: The Ian Hunter To Tour Down Under Campaign
Next Friday (July 28th) marks the 45th Anniversary of the release of one of the greatest rock songs/anthems ever recorded - 'All The Young Dudes' by Mott The Hoople :-) Produced and written especially for the band by David Bowie and featuring the indelible contributions of Ian Hunter (vocals and an iconic closing rant), Mick Ralphs (that fantastic and memorable guitar intro) and the rest of the band - the end result being one of the classic rock songs :-) It would be fantastic to hear that song and many other classics performed live for the very first time in Australia and New Zealand by the legendary Ian Hunter and the Rant Band. We currently have over 650 members in our Facebook group which is a fantastic effort.

I have seen Ian and the band many times in recent years playing some amazing shows. It would be great for the many other fans down under to experience some of their great shows and for Ian and the band to experience our very sizeable, knowledgeable and appreciative rock music audiences :-)

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm

A big 'Welcome to the club' to our seventeen new Facebook group members in July. 650+ and rising :-) If both new and older members can share this group with any like-minded family and friends it would be appreciated. The more members we can get the better to show Ian Hunter's agent, local promoters and the man himself the level of support there is for an Australian tour :-) There have been a few questions posted on the 'Horse's Mouth' on that very subject over July and August.

July - Andy Harris wants us in Australia. (Andy is a member of our group).
July - Rob Stronach: It’s nearer than it’s ever been. (Rob is a member of our group).
July - David Evans: ‘Australia?’ There is interest now – we’ll see how much! (David is a member of our group).
August - Rockin Martin: ‘Australia?’ Seems nearer than it ever was, but still nothing certain. (I'm not sure if Martin is a member of this group?).
August - Phil Lewry wants us in Australia! (I don't think Phil Lewry is a member of this group).

Over the last year or two I have averaged about eighty new views on this thread every time I post some news or an update. To give you an idea of the interest this campaign is now generating - since my second last and latest posts on July 18th and 20th this thread has generated 1300 views!!!!!!!! Even allowing for quite a few members from our Facebook group and this Message Board showing interest that is a hell of a lot of views and indicates that there are a hell of a lot of 'lurkers' and unidentified fans following this campaign with great interest :-) As I've often said our Facebook group is just the tip of the iceberg of the Ian Hunter fandom in Australia and New Zealand.
The Facebook group is a public group. If there are any lurkers/observers out there, and I know there must be quite a few, then please 'join' this group and show your support!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

Thank you one and all for flying the flag everyone :-) The drums are beating, talks have been happening and Ian is open to the idea of touring here. Fingers crossed :-)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:37 pm

There was a great feature article in Saturday's Sydney Morning Herald and The Age (see attached link) about the recent spate of memoirs by or about Australian music artists that have been published already, or are about to be published. Ian Hunter received a brief mention in the article from Steve Kilbey, a confirmed Hunter/MTH fan, of the great Australian band The Church :-) "Some, like Kilbey, might believe that keeping things clean is to the detriment of a ripping good read. "I used to love all the salacious stories about drugs, women and money, like Diary of a Rock'n'Roll Star by Ian Hunter," Kilbey says. "It's disappointing when we get some sleazy bad boy of rock'n'roll and his book is like a boy scout diary." Ian Hunter's great book wasn't that salacious but it was great that he got a mention :-) Coincidentally The Church are headlining a show at the legendary The Fillmore in San Francisco in September the night before Ian Hunter & The Rant Band's show at the same venue :-) The Church will be playing elsewhere the night of the Ian Hunter show.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/boo ... xvmyh.html

540 views of this thread since my last post ten days ago!!!! Just saying :-)

Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 am

Tom, we're always curious as to what you are up to on the other side of the world. I'm still waiting for the post where you announce Ian is coming to the land of kangaroos!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm

I sincerely hope when IH does your there that he gives you the honor of introducing him and the band. I can't think of anyone more deserving in their tireless pursuit of a goal. Well done. VB on me next time

Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 pm

callmeafan3 wrote:
I sincerely hope when IH does your there that he gives you the honor of introducing him and the band. I can't think of anyone more deserving in their tireless pursuit of a goal. Well done. VB on me next time

Thanks Rick from Boston for your sentiments, and thanks again to Rick (callmeafan3), the President of the Orange County branch of my fan club :oops: :wink:

Just a few brief points featuring some miscellaneous updates of interest.

- Last week one of the visitors on a tour I conducted at the Penguin Parade was from Laguna Beach in California. I told him I was down that way a couple of years ago after an Ian Hunter show at San Juan Capistrano. He told me he was originally from the New York area and saw Mott The Hoople live a few times in the early 1970s and was a big fan :-) I told him about Ian's upcoming show at the Coach House in SJC which he didn't know about. There is a good chance my US visitor and his wife will now be at the show :-)
- As posted on another thread this campaign has received best wishes from a high profile fellow Hunter / MTH fan, Jim Kerr of Simple Minds no less :-) I got a great response from Jim on Facebook when I posted a very positive comment on his recent great post on Hunter/MTH, during which I mentioned this campaign - "Good on you with that campaign Tom! All the best to you and Ian!" :-)
- I had one fan come up to me for a chat, and quite a few knowing looks and pointing when I wore an Ian Hunter t-shirt at the Hoodoo Gurus / You Am I show at The Forum in Melbourne on Saturday night. I have personally met and spoken to more than 200 other Ian Hunter fans in the last two and a half years who aren't on Facebook and therefore not members of our Facebook campaign group.
- We have had more than 16 new members on our Facebook campaign group this month and now total nearly 670 members :-)
- This thread has had more than 450 views since my last post a week ago :-)

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm

One thing I forgot to mention in the previous post.

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of showing the incredibly talented USA/Guatemalan singer Gaby Moreno and her band around beautiful Phillip Island for the day. They were in Melbourne for the week playing a residency at a jazz venue in Melbourne called Bird's Basement. Some of you might have seen Gaby as one of the featured vocalists in the big Celebrating David Bowie concerts in Los Angeles, London, Sydney, Tokyo and other cities early this year. She is also the featured vocalist in the upcoming Aladdin Sane tour in the UK featuring the longstanding Bowie keyboards player Mike Garson. And in recent years she was also a featured vocalist in Hugh Laurie's band both live and on record.

I met Gaby very briefly in Sydney in January after her club show. I sent her a message via Facebook before her visit this time inviting her down to Phillip Island for the day as guests of the Phillip Island Nature Park where I work as a Ranger which she gratefully accepted. They had a great day seeing Koalas, Wallabies and Little Penguins in their natural habitat and even an Echidna which we very lucky to spot. Over lunch with Gaby and the band I mentioned my Ian Hunter fandom and the campaign I've been running to bring him to Australia. All her band members were from Los Angeles except her bass player, Kimon Kirk, who is from Boston. Apparently he has been a fixture on the Boston music scene for quite a few years so Rick A. may have heard of him or seen him play before. Kimon told me that one of his friends is in the J. Geils Band and his friend had mentioned their relatively recent US east coast tour with Ian Hunter & The Rant Band as support. Kimon also told me that his friend told him they were great live and great people as well :-) Nothing that I didn't know already but it was still very nice to hear :-)

Attached are some photos I posted on Facebook of Gaby and her band's visit to Phillip Island. I still have to get around to posting some from her shows and me with her and the band at the venue on the last night of their residency.

https://m.facebook.com/tom.caulfield.9/ ... __tn__=C-R

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:11 pm

tomcaulf wrote:
callmeafan3 wrote:

Thanks Rick from Boston for your sentiments, and thanks again to Rick (callmeafan3), the President of the Orange County branch of my fan club :oops: :wink:

I feel so special 8)

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 pm

The latest September edition of the 'Horse's Mouth' has been posted on the official Ian Hunter web page. Just the one question about the possibility of some Australian / New Zealand shows in this edition :-)

Tim Kearns: ‘If you’ll come to Christchurch, New Zealand, I’ll sell my kidneys, my house, my wife and kids to be there.’ Ian Hunter: Steady on!

That's showing some devotion Tim :-) ;-) Another member of our illustrious Facebook campaign group flying the flag :-) Ian also mentioned in this edition that the much touted reissue of his classic book 'Diary Of A Rock 'n' Roll Star' will be happening in the northern Spring (our Autumn/Fall) when it will be published by Omni. So some great news for those of you who have been looking out for a copy :-) And hopefully it will be released around the time of his Down Under tour - if it happens. Another of many golden opportunities for the merchandise stand at his shows down under :-) ;-)

This thread has had more than 700 views since my last post ten days ago. Just saying :-)

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 am

Tim Kearns: ‘If you’ll come to Christchurch, New Zealand, I’ll sell my kidneys, my house, my wife and kids to be there.’ Ian Hunter: Steady on!

Wow! Your kidneys? :D

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Don't order the steak and kidney pie

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm in Christchurch too. Where are you Tim Kearns?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:31 am

keitht wrote:
I'm in Christchurch too. Where are you Tim Kearns?

Great to see another fan from down under :-) Are you on Facebook Keith? If so please join our FB campaign group and show and share your support with any like-minded friends and family :-)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1539150562994336

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am

One of our illustrious group, Rich Harrison, commented on FB recently about another motorist in the car next door laughing about his singing in the car :-) In a rash move he told his FB friends that if he got more than 50 likes he would film and post one of his performances. His friends came to the party and Rich was obligated :-) His wife Gigliola nominated the Ian Hunter classic 'Once Bitten Twice Shy' because "I've had to put up with that song for the last 14 years - welcome to my world" :-) Attached is Rich's performance which I think is absolutely fantastic. I haven't met Rich yet but he works in the radio industry and is originally from Hull in the UK and he obviously isn't the shy, retiring type ;-) And it's great that he picked the longer version. Hopefully we will all get the chance to sing along with this great song and many other classics at some live Ian Hunter shows in Australia in the not too distant future :-) I am sure we can all identify with singing along to Ian Hunter in the car :-)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1509904866

750 views on this page since my last post eleven days ago :-)

Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:20 am

Another member of our illustrious group and friend, Victor M. Penalosa from California, who was the drummer in the legendary Flamin' Groovies in recent years has posted a great review of the Flamin' Groovies first new album in years which he played on ;-) The review is by the longtime Mott The Hoople / Ian Hunter uber fan Kris Needs who goes way back to MTH's early days and used to manage their fan club, Sea Divers, in the early 70s. Unfortunately Victor and one of the original members, George Alexander, aren't with the Groovies any more :-( They have been fantastic musical contributors to the band, are both great guys and have been fantastic ambassadors for the band, both then and now, and are irreplaceable in my view :-) :-(

https://m.facebook.com/groups/153915056 ... 2As%2As-R/

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next