Want to hear it straight from the Horse's Mouth? Ask your question here.
I have been persuaded to do another column by the wife as the "Horse's Mouth" has been shut for a month.
Answers to Questions:
1. Yes, I would like to play Swindon again.
2. Yes, I would like to play Asbury Park again.
3. I want to write another book (a novel), but not yet.
4. A book of lyrics would be nice, but nobodies asked me.
5. Stuart Taylor got married!!! Belated congratulations to you both.
6. Ace - Keep rockin Cleveland. Great town.
7. "American Music" too recent for OBTS
8. Yes, I'd like to play San Francisco - in 2001
9. Concert videos - try e-bay
10. Yes, I'd like to tour the U.S. 2001
11. Holland - Pixx - it's cool.
12. I liked Wrexham - stony venue - but I'd do it again.
13. John Pike says he things most of the fans are "sad blokes". Haven't a clue mate. I thing people should do what makes 'em happy! If you're happy hanging out with me - do it! Supported Shrewsbury town - that's sad - so I stopped! P.S. This list is 35% female!
14. I hope to play Glasgow AND Edinburgh next year!
15. Rob, I'm glad I'm not my cats; she's on Valium.
16. I shall TRY to play Perth, Western Australia!
17. Hopefully, Manchester will be in for next Spring.Will Weah resurrect city? No, but it's a start.
18. Virgins? ... in Hull? ... wow!
19. Peter Badly - Happy Birthday!
20. Some people complain they can't get AOTGOAT, Overnight Angels, and AAAB. Complain to Sony Legacy.
21. I'm asked many times, "How do you write?" I don't know. Really.
22. I should love to play Trondheim. We were going to do it in '97 but the promoter backed out. Hello, Bjorn!
23. I will be in Ohio in 2001, as it's planned at the moment.
24. Ditto for Boston
25. I haven't updated recently, but I am now
26. Heidi - Trudi will contact you
27. I'll try for Munich
28. Jaco Pastorious was 21 when I worked with him. At that time he did not drink, smoke or do drugs. All this happened to him later on when he hit the West Coast. He rehearsed in our house from 9 in the morning until 5 in the evening - seven days a week. At the time we were living in Chappaqua, New York and we'd travel into the city every day to record. Trudi's brother, Kevin, would do the driving. We did this for a month, and on every trip Jaco told dirty jokes, there and back. He never repeated himself once. He had a massive ego, but it was a beautiful and uncorrupted one until he reached LA.
29. $40 for Overnight Angels? You were robbed, mate.
30. Don Greer; heard the name, but I can't remember where
31. Shadow - forgive me - I'm getting to you.
32. L.A.? Next year with SF
33. No, I don't get royalties from "Can't Get Enough". Actually, Mick Ralphs had that song before "One of the Boys". I couldn't sing it, so we used the riff for OOTB (Ralpher got credit for writing half the song) and then he went back to the complete original when he formed Bad Co.
34. "Overnight Angels" was not released in the U.S. because I fired my manager, Fred Heller, during the English promotional tour - just before it was to be released in America. Columbia said they didn't want to release it until I had new management and that dragged on until it became too late. They then used most of it on "Shades Off" after Chrysalis had revived my career with "Schizophrenic" I sometimes think when reviewing the sorry state of my Columbia/Sony royalty statements that I should send them back with a note attached saying "if you'd have pulled only one finger out I might not owe you anything"!
36. Do I sense a Casino Steele marketing ploy here?
37. Silver Needles WAS about somebody. Irene Wilde DOES know about Irene Wilde. What is a honaloochie boogie? It means nothing actually. The band immediately talked about it quite naturally and when I said the title was only there because it fit the chords they all looked at me blankly and that was it! The verses mean something, so I suppose that's something!
38. Sony Japan have released all my solo albums - try there.
39. Did Dion hear our version of "Your Own Backyard"?
40. Yes, I did get up with the Leps at Jones Beach. Lovely chaps.
41. I will play Germany, but only if I can find a promoter who won't screw me!
42. I hope to play Canada in 2001.
43. Marc. G. What do you want?
44. Moray seems to think I cater my work for commercial gain. If I do - where is it? Apart from covers (which I have nothing to do with) I could be living in a tent, which Moray, I'm sure you are not!
45. No chance of a gig this side of Christmas in the U.S. Not unless something changers. The guys I use all have other commitments, and I can't find a hole big enough.
46. Greg Naugle - because it ran out.
47. Greg Naugle - I have weak eyes. Studio lights are bright.
48. Why don't Mick and I reform MTH? BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO!!!
49. I'll try to get to Washington in 2001 (so will a couple of other people I know); thanks for spreading the word on Epinions. Seems alot of people know my name, but they don't know what I do. (I did some radio promo for Sony Legacy last week and Nina Blackwood told me that).
50. Why isn't "Overnight Angels" or "That Girl is Rock and Roll" on OBTS? We didn't like them enough!
51. Bootlegs! I dunno. I'm not too bothered about old stuff, but it's annoying when you go out and you can't do any unrecorded new songs in case they pop up on a bootleg. I'm not a big artist so bootlegging happens quite a lot with me. As i say - the old stuff I don't mind. It's when I'm testing out new songs that it matters. I do, however, know that true fans buy everything. Unfortunately, this world is not populated by true fans. Video tape bootlegs don't bother me, but I could change! 52. The Secret Sessions were work in progress tapes. I think valuable, because you see something coming out of nothing. This is the writing process, but if you're looking for results - there aren't any! Pure stream of conscience stuff. Looking into nothing for something. Workshop.
53. The new album's planned for March next year. I've already started preproduction. I'm still not sure where it will be recorded.
54. I didn't know that OBTS was released in Canada actually. Thanks for telling me!
55. Detroit's another place I really want to play. We'll be there in 2001.
Well, I said I'd never answer Email specifically, but I've answered a few here as my life is a mass of "if's" at the moment. I know the band I want to use on the record, but getting them in one place at the same time is difficult. Still trying to figure out the studio situation and time is running out. Probably produce ourselves. The songs are done but that's only the first step. kinda like a script for a movie.
I appreciate all the Emails of thanks and appreciate the fact that you're out there. Elsewhere, I've done some promo for the "Once Bitten Twice Shy" Sony/Legacy record and in this regard I'd like to thank Tom Cording, Randy and Mark who are pushing for me.
On the home front, my eldest son Steve, his wife Linda, Jamie and Ben will be coming in from England for ten days on Monday. And I'm dreading the dentist on Tuesday. And now you know as much as I do.
Keep the faith.